Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default [IW] Ending the Secret

The Secret that Infinity Unlimited and the nations of Homeline have protected has always been somewhat morally dubious. While maintaining it makes clear sense in some cases (such as the Reich timelines), in many other cases it has been used to justify denying the natives modern technology which could save many lives, or even rob them blind for their resources, technology, artwork, and other cultural artifacts.

So I was wondering: What kinds of events could cause Homeline to abandon the Secret in the case of all timelines which are not a clear threat to Homeline security? And what would be the effect of this on both Homeline and the worlds connected to it?
Old 06-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: [IW] Ending the Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
The Secret that Infinity Unlimited and the nations of Homeline have protected has always been somewhat morally dubious. While maintaining it makes clear sense in some cases (such as the Reich timelines), in many other cases it has been used to justify denying the natives modern technology which could save many lives, or even rob them blind for their resources, technology, artwork, and other cultural artifacts.

So I was wondering: What kinds of events could cause Homeline to abandon the Secret in the case of all timelines which are not a clear threat to Homeline security? And what would be the effect of this on both Homeline and the worlds connected to it?
The old GURPS Time Travel actually addressed part of this. The practical problem is control-the fewer people running around with the secret the less likely something goes horribly wrong. Infinity has enough problems trying to keep the Homeline criminal element from raiding Q5 like it is a open cookie jar; allowing others access would just make things worse.

Also it is not like Infinity doesn't try to help other timelines-they just have to do with within the framework of the secret.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
What kinds of events could cause Homeline to abandon the Secret in the case of all timelines which are not a clear threat to Homeline security?
I can come up with at least two reasons:

1) Massive trans-temporal problems (say, parachronic demonic invasions or natural disasters) requiring large-scale, coordinated effort to put right.

2) A political shift on Homeline, with a climate of opinion rising that Homeline isn't justified in, as you point out, robbing other timelines of resources, cultural property, etc.

Quote:
And what would be the effect of this on both Homeline and the worlds connected to it?
Higher prices for cross-time goods, which will certainly irk a number of Homeliners. "Abroad," there'll probably be a certain amount of unrest as people deal with the idea of alternate worlds and probably recurring worries about "invaders from another dimension."

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I always liked the idea to play (in IW) a creature from some Jumper race, who would spy on Infinity, report on them, and would eventually cause the secret to be obsolete (i.e. would secretly relay the info through its own race to the other worlds). Then Infinity would have more trouble lying than telling.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
RichM90071

I've been working on a scenario along these lines. Basically, events beyond Homeline's control reveal the Secret to people in a large number of timelines. Highlights:

* Parachronics discovered in several more timelines.
* A massive Banestorm affecting many worlds across several Quanta (Quantums?).
* Centrum starts revealing its existence on other timelines in order to secure alliances with local governments.
* Growing hostility toward Infinity on Homeline, forcing Infinity to turn to other timelines for support.

This is all leading to a heating up of the cold war between Infinity and Centrum. The effects on interworld trade and travel are generally bad.

Details, if you're interested (still a work in progress): Infinite War

--Richard

Last edited by RichM90071; 06-20-2007 at 08:05 PM.
RichM90071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
Apache
On Notice

Well, if you want to be technical, the Secret isn't all that much of a secret......aside from Centrum, you have the Cross-Time Travelling Nazi's from Reich-5, and the USA from Merlin-1 (IIRC) has infiltrated Homeline using Gate spells (or some such thing).

And then you have Yrth........

And the Cabal, if you use them......

Last edited by Apache; 06-20-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Apache
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM90071
Centrum starts revealing its existence on other timelines in order to secure alliances with local governments.

IIRC, Centrum does just that as required; they don't go out of their way to advertise their extradimesional origins, but aren't afraid to come out and admit it if it helps their cause on that particular parallel....or others.

They tend to 'reveal' their origin on the lower tech worlds, tho......they certainly aren't looking for ANOTHER competitor.....
Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
rosignol

Quote:

Compared to the massive and radical cultural and economic disruption that usually happens with a lower-tech society comes into contact with a significantly richer and more advanced society?

IMO, no.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
eddie

Location: Ayden, North Carolina, USA, North America, planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way, the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache
and the USA from Merlin-1 (IIRC) has infiltrated Homeline using Gate spells (or some such thing).
You do recall correctly. Her name is Georgina Bush.

- Eddie
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:17 AM   #10
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
I always liked the idea to play (in IW) a creature from some Jumper race, who would spy on Infinity, report on them, and would eventually cause the secret to be obsolete (i.e. would secretly relay the info through its own race to the other worlds). Then Infinity would have more trouble lying than telling.
Yeah, and usually with institutions making mistakes, they will lie as long as they can, which makes telling even a worse prospect.

Role-playing in Vienna: Athenaes Siegel (German)
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds