Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
luzbel

Default Amazon books

Hi everybody.

Maybe is a dumb question but Im not sure if the amazon physical books are in colour. Amazon is not clear. I know companion I is not.
Here:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/

Looks like they are in BW.

Thx.
luzbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
sparcipx

Default Re: Amazon books

I bought a bunch of DFRPG books off Amazon POD a couple of months ago, and they are as follows:

Dungeon Planner: B/W
Magic Items 2: Colour
Monsters 2: Colour
Companion: B/W
Companion 2: Colour
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcipx View Post
I bought a bunch of DFRPG books off Amazon POD a couple of months ago, and they are as follows:
That's also my understanding, and my experience after buying some DFRPG supplements through Amazon.

Dungeon Planner has B/W interior pages by nature (it's meant to be written in). Companion has B/W interior pages because . . . I don't know why; it's an oddball in its monochrome austerity. (Even the individual PDF books that compose it are B/W for some reason.)

I suppose it'd be nice if Companion (and its component PDF books) got full-color releases someday. But B/W does the job fine!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #4
sparcipx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I suppose it'd be nice if Companion (and its component PDF books) got full-color releases someday. But B/W does the job fine!
If it were ever re-released in colour (highly unlikely, I know), I'd snap up a POD copy in a heartbeat.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcipx View Post
If it were ever re-released in colour (highly unlikely, I know), I'd snap up a POD copy in a heartbeat.
The problem there is you have to pay for replacement art, and that's a significant chunk of the cost of any illustrated book. That applies in either direction really - you *can* take color art and print it in black and white, but expect it to look horrible. That's potentially fixable with a good editing job (and I guess colorizing black and white is too for a suitable definition of "edit"), but that good job probably costs as much as new art would.

It's sometimes feasible to release both versions with comics, where the production process starts with line drawings which are then colorized, letting you print black and white version with just the drawings with a cheaper printing process, assuming of course you still *have* copies of the original inked but uncolored drawings. And if you are doing a complete re-layout for a new edition or something, maybe it makes sense to commission new art, particularly if there are rights issues involved. But the economics are usually against it, it's not something you can do trivially.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
sparcipx

As I said, highly unlikely, I know :)

Last edited by sparcipx; 05-11-2021 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added smiley so I don't come across as a jerk
Old 05-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
luzbel

Thx a lot for your answers guys.
luzbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:09 AM   #8
ArchonShiva

Depending what one wants color for, you could also have a color book with B/W art.