Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 02-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
Fred Skin

Default Vehicles from early Armadillo days

Armadillo Auto Duel Arena opened a year after Crazy Joe Harshman's .50 cal win. So what were the first dueling vehicles like? Has it been covered in ADQ? Can that era be played using existing rules?
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
svawter

Default Re: Vehicles from early Armadillo days

I do not believe that it was specifically covered, but "Chassis & Crossbow" rules were published (first) in ADQ for low tech vehicles (basically no armor, no fancy weapons, no fancy accessories, etc.) and later in Dueltrack but I don't think it survived into 4th ed (CW Compendium/updated Deluxe CW)

Those rules can be used to run games Mad Max style (handguns only) upward to mounted .50 cal, etc., generally fired strait out the facing instead of into an arc; there were pintle mounts that allowed weapons on the roof to have a 180 arc and also ring mounts for something akin to a turret cupola style
svawter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Skin View Post
So what were the first dueling vehicles like?
Twice, actually -- once in the "Chassis & Crossbow" section of _Dueltrack_ (available on eBay; bear in mind it dates from before gas engines were nerfed)...

Quote:
Has it been covered in ADQ?
...and in _ADQ 1/3_, available from Warehouse 23. :) (Though those rules were eventually superseded by "C&C" mentioned above.) There's a "C&C Era" scenario in _ADQ 7/2_ which allows a bit more variety in tech than straight "C&C", as well.

Quote:
Can that era be played using existing rules?
Yup -- just realize: HC is always going to be rubbish; firepower is going to be anemic; and the first shot which gets past armor is going to turn one's crew to chunky salsa.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
kbs666

Chassis & crossbows was meant for the period before order was restored, sort of Mad Max stuff.

If you want the earliest pro dueling stuff I'd stick to fairly basic weapons, the equivalent of the ones in the original game (MG, RR, RL, ATG, SD, MD, flamethrower, heavy rockets, laser and maybe the vulcan), either just basic plastic armor or metal only and no or only the most basic accessories. How that will translate to equipment cards I have no idea. Certainly no laser guided rockets, or flame clouds.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote