Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #31
vitruvian

Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Visible reflection would make you perfectly visible through the viewfinder of an SLR camera, but not on the resulting picture (unless you consider a photograph a "static reflection" or some such).
True, but if you don't have Affects Machines, you'll show up in the photograph regardless.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #32
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Well, it should have an effect on the IR beam if you've bought Extended Spectrum* or whatever the limitation to be invisible to other wavelengths is called as well as Affects Machines, but as for the motion sensor and the pressure plate, you're right.
I think you mean 'the Extended Spectrum enhancement', not limitation. In any case, it's not needed. Default invisibility covers all electromagnetic-based vision. Extended is needed if you want it to be shielded against acoustic/magnetic/scent/etc.

It's unclear if someone invisible to 'electromagnetic vision' would be detectable to RADAR or LIDAR or other active electromagnetic sensors, though I'd generally assume 'yes' since it makes absolutely no sense why passive electromagnetic radiation would pass right through you but if you start sending out electromagnetic radiation yourself you could detect the invisible guy.

Quote:
And if any kind of digital optics foils it, then current IR goggles that incorporate CCDs will certainly let you see folks with unmodified Invisibility.
This is definitely how I'd treat it, since it's the simplest and makes the most sense.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #33
Darekun

Hm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B63
Individuals using paranormal remote viewing (crystal balls, Clairvoyance, etc.) cannot see you if you would be invisible to their normal vision. /Devices/ with these powers can still sense you,
I'd count CCTV as "devices with remote viewing powers", and therefore presumably CCD-based optics, but not the weird analog optics used by Shadowrun magicians.

Interestingly, a la Ultraviolet, you could have optics similar to AR goggles that beam-split the view, copied it via CCD and LEDs, then beam-split it back together. To not only detect invisible people, but detect that they are invisible at the same time.

Of course, now I'm imagining somebody navigating a fight in complete darkness using only Detect: Invisibility…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
It's unclear if someone invisible to 'electromagnetic vision' would be detectable to RADAR or LIDAR or other active electromagnetic sensors,
B63 gives radar among the list of things encompassed by "electromagnetic vision".
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #34
Daigoro

Kromm has already described the distinction for determining if Affects Machines works, although I thought there was a more recent comment which I can't find now.

This might be worth being FAQ'd.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekun View Post
Interestingly, a la Ultraviolet, you could have optics similar to AR goggles that beam-split the view, copied it via CCD and LEDs, then beam-split it back together. To not only detect invisible people, but detect that they are invisible at the same time.
Wouldn't it be simpler to just use a monocular mount like a PVS-14?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Kromm has already described the distinction for determining if Affects Machines works, although I thought there was a more recent comment which I can't find now.
Yeah, so "Ghost-Hunters" ghost invisibility is the model.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #36
Darekun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Wouldn't it be simpler to just use a monocular mount like a PVS-14?
I was assuming that wouldn't be good enough; one eye would see the target fully, the other wouldn't see them at all. Depends on your goals, I guess.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I was assuming that wouldn't be good enough; one eye would see the target fully, the other wouldn't see them at all. Depends on your goals, I guess.
Maybe I'm having trouble understanding what you were proposing, but I thought you wanted an optic that would let you see the invisible creature and also be able to tell that it is invisible at the same time.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #38
Darekun

Quote:
Maybe I'm having trouble understanding what you were proposing, but I thought you wanted an optic that would let you see the invisible creature and also be able to tell that it is invisible at the same time.
I was also thinking of parallax for targeting "nonlinear" powers, and the binocular one can support AR, etc. More something a Gadgeteer at a monster-hunting agency could cook up than something a lone monster hunter on a budget could pick up.

Especially since I got to it from tricking out an AR rig :J
Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #39
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I was also thinking of parallax for targeting "nonlinear" powers, and the binocular one can support AR, etc. More something a Gadgeteer at a monster-hunting agency could cook up than something a lone monster hunter on a budget could pick up.

Especially since I got to it from tricking out an AR rig :J
AR? Augmented Reality?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #40
Darekun

Quote:
AR? Augmented Reality?
Yes. In Wikipedia's terms, a head-mounted display with video see-through.

Imagine a hollow cube. The top and bottom are opaque, put a video camera on the left and a video screen on the right(or vice versa), put a mirror across the middle at 45° so the camera looks out the front and the screen displays out the back. Mount two of these in glasses such that each eye looks in the back of one cube, and have software modify the camera image in accordance with AR before passing it to the display. That's what I was starting with. That alone would make the wearer effectively count as a machine for Invisibility purposes, barring Glamour etc.

Replace the mirror with two beam-splitters, one "in reverse", which will probably require lengthening the optical column. A partial image is then passed through without machine alteration, and you can partly see through anything with Invisibility. (I figured it'd be easy for modern westerners to train "translucent people are invisible", since that's how our media often shows invis.)

Tags
detection, insubstantiality, invisible