Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
RVA_Grandpa

Default Re: Analyzing Counters

Snidley is a NPC in our campaign and only the GM knows his stats. I made that counter because I didn't see an adequate counter for him in the mix.

Yes he's a bad guy. He is the steward of the Ogre Lord that rules the largest town in the area. We, the PCs, think he is the actual brains of the operation and possibly a wizard. We have met him twice and haven't tried to test his strength yet, but one day soon we will.

Luckily for Nell there are no railroads on the isle of Bridonia, but there is a monthly sacrifice to the Ogre Lord's appetite for human flesh.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #12
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I have been sorting and looking more closely at the counters that come with Melee and Wizard.

(I'm trying to avoid looking at the Death Test ones until I use them.)

1. Is there any logic to how the identifying letters got assigned to the figure artwork?

As far as I can tell, it seems to be very randomly and unevenly distributed.

2. Do you like to choose your counters based more on the letter or the artwork?

Also, currently, it seems to me that the figure art doesn't always best represent the equipment options in the rules or how I would accessorize. I'm still playing and considering though.
3. Any thoughts or preferences?
(All that said, I do appreciate the creative license and variety expressed by Liz Danforth.)

4. Do you have any favorite figures that you must disclose? ;-)
1) The letters are pretty random. Sometimes a creature matches the letter of the creature type. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Letter are just for our counter ID'ing

2) I choose counters to try to match the character and equipmnent. I'm not always lucky. My wife will name characters, even animals, based on the counter letter.

3) I love Liz Danforth's art. I also love counters and made many, many of my own counters, not just for creatures, but for HP, XP, gold, weapons, lesser wishes, and other stuff. All my counters are in Pocket Box scale.

4) I like Melee Counter K; I named him "Kloak" for my adventures!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
Helborn

If I'm not mistaken, some of the best OTFT counters were done by Norman Royal. I can't find anything about him. Does anyone have any info or a correction? The counters with Master of the Amulets were my favorites.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #14
raniE

I love that the giant snake counters in Melee are lettered S, P, Q, R. Someone thinks the romans were snakes (unless it is an absolute coincidence of course).
raniE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #15
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniE View Post
I love that the giant snake counters in Melee are lettered S, P, Q, R. Someone thinks the romans were snakes (unless it is an absolute coincidence of course).
Ergo my next Goblin Sorceress with the Staff to Snake spell must be called Angitia.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Since the alphabet runs PQRS, I'm guessing the coincidence is in history.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
The 'Roman Serpents Theory' sounded quite intriguing, for a moment there. I was thinking, "I wonder, why serpents? Is that a slander on Rome? Or a compliment? Is it a meta-reference to something from Roman history? What does it MEAN?"

And then you had to go spoil it all, with your crazy 'Alphabetical Order Theory'. Occam's Razor ruins the party yet again. ;)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #18
raniE

Quote:
Yeah, entirely possible that it is a coincidence of course. But the giant counters run A, C, the bears are B, D, E, U, the gargoyles are G, J, P, Z and the Wolves F, H, I, L, R, W. So none of the other creature sets have counters running in full alphabetical order. Hm,, could there be possible hidden references or easter eggs in the other nonhuman sets?
raniE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #19
tomc

Quote:
Hm,, could there be possible hidden references or easter eggs in the other nonhuman sets?
If not, I'm sure we can make some. Humans are crazy good at finding patterns. Whether they exist or not. :)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #20
Anaraxes

Quote:
Given that "snake" starts with 's', and that letter looks like a snake, it's plausible that the artist picked that counter to be one of the snakes. Then just dropped them all next door.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote