Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 07-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
madhopper50

Default Basic Requirements For GURPS Traveller

To start playing GURPS Traveller, besides GURPS Traveller, would I need GURPS Basic and GURPS Space? Would GURPS Lite work with GURPS Traveller?
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
thrash

Default Re: Basic Requirements For GURPS Traveller

GURPS Traveller (which is a GURPS 3e product) and GURPS Lite for 3rd edition make a pretty good set, if you're okay with playing in 3rd edition. I've run several campaigns with those as my standard.

For GURPS 4th edition, I recommend GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars, GURPS Lite (4e), and GURPS Ultra-tech: Weapons Tables.

GURPS Lite for 4th edition has a very skimpy list of modern firearms, and no ultra-tech weapons (lasers, etc.) at all. The Weapons Tables file is a cost-effective alternate way to get more options; otherwise, you'll need Basic Set or Ultratech. Interstellar Wars has both ship design and world-building rules, so you won't need GURPS Spaceships or Space to start.

Also note that the entire GURPS Traveller catalog is available digitally from Far Future Enterprises (Marc Miller's company), now that SJ Games' license has expired. It comes on three CD-ROMs for $35 each. If you order all three, Mr. Miller will refund the cost of a fourth disk (from one of the other versions of Traveller).
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
madhopper50

Thanks! I have Mongoose Traveller, was in the mood to buy something, and wanted to know how much I needed to order from SJG.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:16 AM   #4
madhopper50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
GURPS Traveller (which is a GURPS 3e product) and GURPS Lite for 3rd edition make a pretty good set, if you're okay with playing in 3rd edition. I've run several campaigns with those as my standard.

For GURPS 4th edition, I recommend GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars, GURPS Lite (4e), and GURPS Ultra-tech: Weapons Tables.

GURPS Lite for 4th edition has a very skimpy list of modern firearms, and no ultra-tech weapons (lasers, etc.) at all. The Weapons Tables file is a cost-effective alternate way to get more options; otherwise, you'll need Basic Set or Ultratech. Interstellar Wars has both ship design and world-building rules, so you won't need GURPS Spaceships or Space to start.

Also note that the entire GURPS Traveller catalog is available digitally from Far Future Enterprises (Marc Miller's company), now that SJ Games' license has expired. It comes on three CD-ROMs for $35 each. If you order all three, Mr. Miller will refund the cost of a fourth disk (from one of the other versions of Traveller).
Thanks again! Obtained the following PDFs: GURPS Lite 3rd Edition, GURPS Traveller & GURPS Starports. Ordered hard copy of "Traveller Deck Plan 2: Modular Cutter".
Old 12-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
DangerousThing

I bought most of the GURPS Traveller line (pdf) for reference materials. I use 4e. The only thing I haven't bought yet is the Interstellar Wars book; I don't like to play in that era and I don't want to spend the $25 right now.

These books are very well done. Even though I have all the GDW Traveller material, I still got the GURPS books and haven't regretted the purchase.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
Whome?

You really need GURPS Space 3e to play GURPS Traveller 3e. Basically, GURPS Traveller 3e is a companion book to GURPS Space 3e. GURPS Traveller 4e does not require GURPS Space. I found this out the hard way at a con game I was running. Information I needed to run the game was missing from GURPS Traveller 3e and was in GURPS Space 3e.
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote