Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: Wat! no XP for hurting people and breaking things??

In that case the book example has a party with over twice the total FP of the troll so they got half its FP as XP to divide between them.

The award formula is then XP = enemyFP^2 / (PartySize * (enemyFP + partyFP))

So if a two adventurers of 32 FP each (starting characters) defeat one troll of 72 FP they each get 72^2 / (2 * (72 + 64)) = 5184 / 272 = 19 XP each

If instead they stomp six FP 3 rats between them they get 18^2 / (2 * (18+64)) = 324 / 164 = 2 XP each

A starting PC who defeated a 14 hex dragon with extended breath attack by herself would get a big reputation to try to live up to and 372^2 / (1 * (32 + 372)) = 138384 / 404 = 342 XP
Old 04-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #22
TippetsTX

Ugh... too much math.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #23
Skarg

In my system:

the troll is worth 34 TV
Mario is 22 TV
Heniochus is 32 TV
Grabivariko is 25 TV
Kov is 24 to 31 TV, depending on his spells which we don't know - I'll say 30.

The XP if any one of them had beat the troll alone would be:

Mario: 68 - 22 = 46 XP
Heniochus: 68 - 32 = 36 XP
Grabivariko: 68 - 25 = 43 XP
Kov: 68 - 30 = 38 XP

The party defeated the troll in 7 turns, but Mario only really fought for one turn. I'd divide the XP by 3 for the three who really fought it, so:

Heniochus: 12 XP
Grabivariko: 14 XP
Kov: 13 XP

Mario's XP I'd divide by 4 AND by 6, so like 2 XP.

Though he got hurt, and when people heal wounds, I give them XP equal to the damage they heal (is that from Grailquest or ITL? I don't remember).

Two starting fighters defeating that troll would be:
68 - 24 = 44, divided by 2 is 22 XP each.

Two starting fighters against 6 rats I tend to treat as TV = 10 + number of rats, so:
16 x 2 = 32 - 24 = 8, divided by 2 fighters is 4 XP each.

Starting fighter versus 14-hex dragon has several intangible factors (flying, size, etc) is going to be approximately TV 150 (if the dragon fights from the ground to make things slightly fair) so by the math anyway, maybe:
150 x 2 = 300 - 24 = 276 XP
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #24
mark hill

rather than all that calculation, why not a simple 3 tier

weaker than you (ST) = say, 1 xp
equal ST to you = 5 xp
stronger than you = 25 xp

it scales automatically, and is absurdly easy for a player or gm to calculate :)

it means that the badass average orc who once gave you so much xp, who you once learned so much from, now yields you but little when youve gotten more combat experience

it would also encourage glory hound types to go for the BIGGEST orc or bandit available (which is appropriate for Hero behaviour, even if its a 'Heroic' thief stabbin a guy in the back, or sniping him across the field with an arrow to the head) .. note that going for the toughest first is strategically NON-optimal in many cases, but it is usually what macho idiots do

its quite slow too, meaning youd hafta slaughter half the forces of the third reich to become a Conan type ST 30 DX 30 kinda guy (and you KNOW lucky hauptmann schmidt is gonna roll a triple on you sooner or later)

it means SOME players would keep their ST low to get more xp .. dangerous bet that lol

how sophisticated and fair does it have to be? just how much does one learn from taking a life? it would make defeating a huge maori war champion about as instructive to the Hero's life experience as dispelling Mighty Cuchooloo .. we are assuming xp in TFT is not granted by gods or anything like that .. so why not level the learning out, overcoming that level of stress is probably the same in those 2 cases, both appear to be certain death, its about as much learning as youre gonna get

Last edited by mark hill; 04-09-2019 at 10:52 PM.
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #25
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
rather than all that calculation, why not a simple 3 tier

equal ST to you = 5 xp

it scales automatically, and is absurdly easy for a player or gm to calculate :)

its quite slow too, meaning youd hafta slaughter half the forces of the third reich to become a Conan type ST 30 DX 30 kinda guy
Yeah, I'd probably double your example XP, but that certainly solves a multitude of problems for awarding XP in a fight. Now, how many do you give the guy who brings the pizza to game night? ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #26
mark hill

LOL! .. many players have bribed me with food and chocolate and other stuff over the years, possibly under the illusion I would be kinder to them, possibly because they actually believe its lucky to do this .. but I stayed strong and stoney hearted, so they know my table is the Real Deal :)

increasing xp awards actually devalues the xp point .. its inflation .. keep em hungry, keep em keen :)
Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #27
malloyd

Quote:
Skarg - thats very much food for thought. One doesnt learn much about combat by slaughtering children armed with slings
A scheme we tried in AD&D was to award xp only for fights where you suffered at least 10% of your hp - if the foe couldn't manage at least that, it wasn't enough of a challenge to teach you anything new. Admittedly this works better in a game system that leans heavily to attritional combat, but some sort of rule where an opponent needs to land at least one good blow to count as a challenge does have the advantage of not needing a calculation to judge, and hey if you screw up against a trivial opponent enough to get hurt, you probably learned something, if only to be more careful about underestimating an enemy.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #28
mark hill

lol thats true too .. from personal experience I can attest that nothing improves ones reflexes quite as much as the memory of a solid kick in the nads, or a really thorough beating from a maori twice your weight :)

dont take it too far tho, or players might TRY to 'get killed' in battles (very viking that tho)
Old 04-09-2019, 11:48 PM   #29
Skarg

Quote:
equal ST to you = 5 xp
Yeah, I think I'm headed towards something sort of like this, but mine will be a bit more involved, and I would tend to base it on an overall sense of relative ability / danger, not just ST.

(One of the things I like about my detailed system, for example, is that you get less XP if you use magic items to kill foes.)

As for XP only if you get hurt, I don't think so, because yes, it would encourage gamily trying to get a bit hurt by someone, which is really backwards in TFT (where there is no much focus on trying not to get hurt). But I would keep the 1 XP for every point of combat injury healed.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #30
mark hill

do you mean 1 xp for hits healed, for the physiker? or points for getting stabbed?

our house rule was 5 xp per hit healed, to the medic, more for a revival (there was rules for reviving recently 'dead' guys in an old Interplay via medical resuscitation) .. is there now an official rule?

gee magic items xp .. I guess governor tarkin would have leveled up quite a lot blowing up alderan, what 20 billion ppl or so?

Last edited by mark hill; 04-10-2019 at 12:07 AM.