Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
larsdangly

Default Progress!

Gadzooks; a whole parcel of TFT material that's made it to layouts!

http://www.sjgames.com/fantasytrip/

p.s., other than just being excited about it all, my first thought was to wonder how Tolenkar's Lair would be presented before re publication of the new edition of ITL. Both the NPC's and a lot of the other challenges (traps, hidden things, etc.) that are in the original TL assume the existence of talents. So, either the revised TL will have talents removed (presenting it more or less like a non-programmed version of Deathtest), or the 'simple' Melee and Wizard sets will include talents, or TL will include talents that simply go unexplained until the follow up volume comes out. I don't particularly care which will be done, but I am a little curious.

Last edited by larsdangly; 06-01-2018 at 08:31 AM.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Progress!

My guess it will be released along with the Advanced/ITL book and after Melee/Wizard so the problem won't occur.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
JLV

It's great news though.

I'm sort of hoping that Melee and Wizard will be released simultaneously (or nearly so), followed by Death Test and Death Test 2 at intervals of a couple of months or so (along with LOTS of publicity) as spacers until the kick-off of the big Kickstarter for ITL, and then Tollenkar's Lair will either come out with the big Kickstarter, or shortly after delivery of it is complete. (But either way, I suspect Chris is absolutely right --it would seem more sensible to release Tollenkar's Lair either with or slightly after the big book.)

Just to kind of keep the drumbeat of publicity and new releases going while we wait for the whole thing to be completed...and to buy time for Steve and others to come up with new books/microgames for us to anticipate and drool over! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Progress! --> Any word on new stuff?

Hi all,
I'm far less interested in reprints of the existing TFT than new adventures and rules. I've got, M, W, AM, AW, ITL, DT, DT2, TL, The GM Screen, etc.

Obviously these have to be printed first so new people can buy them if they want, but I'm certainly not sitting on the edge of my seat for another copy. If there is nothing new for TFT, it will be a huge disappointment to me.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Jim Kane
Banned

Yes, indeed Lars. And I am most curious as to who will be doing the interior and cover art, and who will be doing the counter sets for Death Test & Death Test 2. Aaaaand... will Tollenkar be released *as was*, or expanded to include play-aids and it's own counter set?

I know what I would like to do with this one...

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-01-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Insert Addressee
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Yes, indeed. ... Aaaaand... will Tollenkar be released *as was*, or expanded to include play-aids and it's own counter set? I know what I would like to do with this one... JK
If TL was expanded a bit, and had its own counter sheet, that would be really cool.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Dave Crowell

Tollenkar's Lair may be closer to final layout if it doesn't require a lot of rewriting and re-editing.

I would expect that a combined edition of AM, AW, and ITL would require a fair bit of work if it was anything more than putting the three existing books back to back within a single set of covers.

I am not at all certain that order of layout will be the same as order of release. It may be a case of "We can get this put to bed now, so let's do it, even though we will publish it later". Workflow and resource management.

I am anxious to be able to buy all the TFT material as my copies vanished into the mists decades ago.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
JLV

Plus, frankly, my 35 year-old copies ARE looking a bit ratty. It would be really nice to have some nice shiny new ones! And if counters and maps are included, you KNOW I'll buy multiple copies, just for the extra parts! ;-)

But yes, I also agree with Rick in that I sincerely hope there will be lots of new stuff coming down the pike too. Though I won't be "disappointed" at all even if we just get a new and *slightly* improved version! I'm still just ecstatic that there is even the POSSIBILITY of new stuff coming, that "anticipation" is more the felling I have... ;-)

(I know, I know, I'm just a fanboy!)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Tollenkar's Lair may be closer to final layout if it doesn't require a lot of rewriting and re-editing.

I would expect that a combined edition of AM, AW, and ITL would require a fair bit of work if it was anything more than putting the three existing books back to back within a single set of covers.

I am not at all certain that order of layout will be the same as order of release. It may be a case of "We can get this put to bed now, so let's do it, even though we will publish it later". Workflow and resource management.

I am anxious to be able to buy all the TFT material as my copies vanished into the mists decades ago.
Having compiled and edited my own house-ruled versions of a bi gAM/AW/ITL volume (three times...), I can tell you it is a really big job. A surprisingly large amount of stuff needs editing or moving around, even if you aren't changing anything significant. I'm impressed they are so far along!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
...Just to kind of keep the drumbeat of publicity and new releases going while we wait for the whole thing to be completed...and to buy time for Steve and others to come up with new books/microgames for us to anticipate and drool over! ;-)
Exactly, JLV. I don't know of any other way to get milk from a cow in the morning... unless you feed it the night before. So I am in for at least one file-copy of everything, if for no other reason than to say *thank you* for the 1977-1980 originals again; and to fund the future development of TFT Support Products for the benefit of those new TFT gamers who will be learning and enjoying TFT for the first time.

More than anything, I would like to see this thing of ours left better for the next TFT Adventure Party who comes along - as they follow the trail of our dusty old footsteps through The Fantasy Trip.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-03-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote