Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #1
Inky

Default Map-making program for Linux or online?

Does anybody here happen to know a program that could be used for quickly making gridded battle-maps of areas? Needs to be a native Linux program, or else one that can be used online. I was thinking of using one to make quick maps of places in a Discord text RPG server I'm in - trying to picture what's going on and who's with who in a crowded room without a map does my head in.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Map-making program for Linux or online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Does anybody here happen to know a program that could be used for quickly making gridded battle-maps of areas? Needs to be a native Linux program, or else one that can be used online. I was thinking of using one to make quick maps of places in a Discord text RPG server I'm in - trying to picture what's going on and who's with who in a crowded room without a map does my head in.

how quickly?

My go-to for that sort of doodling is inkscape, which takes a little getting used to. Google drawings are similar, but clunkier, and I always struggle to really get a grid on them (but my players can point to places on them electronically, so we use drawings for things)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:29 PM   #3
Anthony

There are a lot of rpg map makers (searching for that should get you plenty of hits) though most of them are not super quick to use.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
Celjabba

Shamat is nice (and created for TFT so based on a hex grid )

https://shadekeep.com/shamat.html

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=159457

But for "on the fly" drawing, a digital white board may be more appropriate ... except for the grid

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-19-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:02 AM   #5
Inky

Drawing it in a drawing program is, of course, a thing. But I was asking about the kind where you have tiles and lay them out. Those are fun and I was just wondering whether there were any that would work on my set-up.

Shamat is very neat, just been playing with it. Thanks. Anything else? Shamat's a bit short on indoor elements, unless I'm missing something, and there's a lot of that in this.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #6
Anthony

Rather than drawing my own maps I've gotten in the habit of just searching for maps online. There's a lot of maps out there that other people have done.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Dungeondraft has an Ubuntu version, though I've only used the Windows build. Pretty good at what it does, with support for layers (so you can separate objects from terrain, for example) and a fair amount of community support for assets. Also, the price is right - a mere USD $20.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Dungeondraft has an Ubuntu version, though I've only used the Windows build. Pretty good at what it does, with support for layers (so you can separate objects from terrain, for example) and a fair amount of community support for assets. Also, the price is right - a mere USD $20.
You can also export files to a VTT standard that, for example, can be imported into Foundry (and probably other VTTs) with things like walls already handled correctly. Dungeondraft is really very good.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:30 AM   #9
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Does anybody here happen to know a program that could be used for quickly making gridded battle-maps of areas? Needs to be a native Linux program, or else one that can be used online.
I'm using Inkscape as my vtt, with assistance software that will take an existing bitmapped map (with scale in pixels per foot/yard/metre) and overlay the user's choice of grid. (I use a lot of house plans.) I can send you that if it would be useful. (I'm also running Linux.)

I'm told by people who use commercial vtts that they can add their own grids if you tell them the scale of the map.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
heruca

MapForge isn't Linux-native, but it should run fine on Linux using Virtual Box. Works with square grids, hex grids (both orientations), and even an isometric grid.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote