Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 01-30-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
DAT

Default Weapons for a THS US Army Airborne Infantry Platoon

I have a scenario where elements of a THS US Army Airborne Infantry Platoon (rescue force or punishment force is still up in the air) may come into play. Unless I missed it somewhere, I haven’t seen where the weapons for a Fifth Wave Infantry Platoon (Airborne or otherwise) have been defined in the THS or Pyramid articles. The idea of this thread is to get feedback and thought about my first cut at what appropriate THS (and a few Ultra-Tech) weapons for a THS US Army Airborne Infantry Platoon might be for the game, starting with what weapons a current US Army Infantry Platoon may have.

A modern US Army Infantry Platoon’s weapons will include:
- M4 (5.56x45mm) series assault carbines,
- Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (SDM-R) (5.56x45mm) accurized M16 assault rifle,
- M249 (5.56x45mm) / Squad Automatic Weapons (SAWs) light machineguns,
- M203 (40x46mm) grenade launchers,
- M240B (7.62x51mm) medium machineguns,
- M9 (9x19mm) semiautomatic pistols, and
- RLM FGM-148 Javelin missile (127mm).
If a Sniper Team is attached add:
- Sniper rifles – Numerous options (7.62x51mm, .300 Win Mag, .308 Win, .388 Lapua Mag, .50 BMG)

I see a THS US Army Infantry Platoon replacing:
- M4s w/ Battle Rifles (5.6mm), although they have a lower ACC and RoF than the M4.
- SDM-Rs w/ Battle Rifles (5.6mm) with improvements to the ACC or Laser Rifles (3kJ) or Ultra-Tech Storm Rifle (UT.137),
- M249/SAWs w/ … don’t see a THS equivalent, so maybe an Ultra-Tech Gatling Carbine or higher capacity Assault Carbine (UT.137),
- M203s w/ the 30 mm Mini-Missiles, the already under barrel ones on the Battle Rifles or a new platform with more shots.
- M240Bs w/ … don’t see a THS equivalent, so maybe an Ultra-Tech Light Support Weapon or Storm Chaingun (UT.138),
- M9s w/ Assault Pods (could go with 4mm or 10mm pistols, but the Assault Pods seem better),
- RLM FGM-148s w/ … don’t see a THS equivalent, so maybe an Ultra-Tech MLAW/TML (UT.145),
- Sniper Rifles w/ AMRs (15mm).

Any alternative ideas?

Since the THS US Army is a Fifth Wave force, most of their “troops” in an Infantry Platoon will be small RATS (Robotic Armored Tactical Systems). In an Airborne Infantry Platoon, those will be Jump RATS like variations of the M82 Ridgways.

The base M82 Ridgways come armed with a pair of Battle Rifles (w/ 100, 5.6mm light automatic rounds and 3, 30mm mini-missiles) and a 60mm Recoilless Rifle (RR) (w/ 1 round). The 60 mm RR strikes me as of limited use with it weighing 35 lbs and only having 1 shot, when the 30mm mini-missiles do more damage. The 60mm RR does have better max range and ACC (8 vs 2) than the 30mm mini-missile. But replacing the 60mm RR with the Gatling Carbine (UT.137), extra 30mm mini-missile reloads, Light Support Weapon or Storm Chaingun (UT.138), MLAW/TML (UT.145), or AMRs (15mm) seems like decent trade-offs for different Platoon roles.

Any thoughts or alternative ideas?

Appreciate other’s thoughts?
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote