Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
cephalopagus

Default Ogre Drop Off

Wow what a drop off in activity on this forum. What can we do to bring interest back to this game?
Old 01-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #2
Tankboy

Default Re: Ogre Drop Off

Dang it, I was just thinking the same thing the other day LOL, but I didn't have anything profound to post about playing during this pandemic.

There's a lot we could talk about... I know I have a huge army from the old Pewter mini days that mostly collects dust, and when I started collecting the new plastic versions, I got back into it a little. I bought a 6 foot foldout table to use in the Rec room, I've since decided to replace everything with the new plastic versions. You know you're in trouble when you have to start creating spreadsheets to keep track of what you own, want, and the colours/factions, even types (cardboard vs mini) LOL! I had to do the same thing with my GHQ modern micro armour, cause I was buying doubles that I didn't require! LOL

I play on my own, so I decide ahead of time, what sort of path, tactics and aggression (kind of a half baked, mental algorithm, shooting from the hip) the Ogre will use, and it makes it interesting. If you're the type of person that can play Chess against yourself by switching sides and making the best moves for each colour, this is not so hard! LOL

I printed off some neat game references from the BGG forums that help, and bought a couple of nifty electronic, push button LED dice from overseas, just to make it interesting. Although I started off with the handy record cards using Dry Erase markers, I've found that the Ogre App is much better for recording damage. I have an old phone and a tablet I use if there's a couple Ogres in the game.

So, how has the Pandemic affected your gameplay experiences? Is Ogre on the shelf or back burner? Are you/were you playing solitaire like me, and are you going to, if you didn't? Do you cruise the forums on SJG and BGG to see what's up? What maps are your favourites? I still can't get enough of the old Orange map; it makes for a swift, exciting game.

Another thing I like is 2 Ogres, or an Ogre and a Fencer with a little help, going head to head. When those giants start ramming each other, things get crazy really fast!

Oh yeah, once in a while, I get wacky with the little magnets, and I've had some fun with the Fencer turrets, the GEV-PCs and the howitzers. I bought a nice 3D printed version of the Martian train from the movie Total Recall that doesn't look TOO out of scale, and stuck magnets in each of the sections. Having played "the Train" scenario with it yet, though. It's on the To-Do list.

Last edited by Tankboy; 01-29-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
Mack_JB

A few years back I met a local guy, and we started meeting weekly to play Ogre at a local game store (the chain location nearest him). That ended about a year ago as the pandemic began taking effect. Hasn't restarted for the same reason, he's immuno-compromised, and I'm leery anyway.

Bought tons of plastic minis, and have been slowly making proxies for the stuff SJG hasn't made yet. Since we can't post pics here, I use the Ogre Discord server and BGG for my WIP stuff. Here's the BGG version:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1900163/page/1

Worth a look for some ideas if you're crafty.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:25 AM   #4
schoon

A new minis KS or new game material couldn't hurt.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
A new minis KS or new game material couldn't hurt.
Yea I was thinking that also. I look at Warhammer 40,000 and I just can't get into that game but they are doing something right that SJG isn't. I said before that SJG is more of a card / dice game company with a war game stuck onto it. Some one took umbridge to my comment and ask me if I knew how SJG got started. Yea I know I also know it costs a hell of a lot less to make cards and dice than a war game let alone what the profit margin difference must be. I look at other war game companies/ miniature model companies and they seem to be putting out a product every couple of months. My fear is if they don't keep generating interest in Ogre it will collapse and be one of the many forgotten war games. But what the hell do I know I've never run a war gaming company. Oh and DONOT tell me that Mr. Jackson doesn't want to give up control over Ogre, I am well aware of that situation.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #6
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopagus View Post
My fear is if they don't keep generating interest in Ogre it will collapse and be one of the many forgotten war games.
If so, then then it's been dying for 40+ years, the corpse isn't cold yet by far.

(Insert Monty Python "I'm not dead yet" meme).

Ogre is a niche wargame, but it's been supported all along; it just isn't a game that is aimed at the mini collectors or builders like 40K is.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
Misplaced Buckeye

Think about it gents and gals. SJG just ran a Build a scenario contest and honestly I didn't hear or see about one entry. Even myself I let it get by me with the holidays and Covid crap. Maybe SJG will take another run at it. I don't need another mini sorry guys and I know that the rest of you do.

How many of you play the online game or even have it? I do and can't remember the last time I played it. Too much hassle getting steam up and running. I can be playing Star Realms in 15 seconds.

And we all have sizeable collection or board games. IF SJG would publish an approved solo variant for the ODE (Not Ogre, I can do that with Astra Titanus) we might see some activity. Solo gaming is super strong now. And using something similar to the Lock n Load Tactical Solo rules or Conflict of Heroes East Front Solo, I'd buy right now....Take MY Money.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
andrewbeasley

Quote:
SJG just ran a Build a scenario contest and honestly I didn't hear or see about one entry.
Could this be because it was not advertised anywhere other than this forum?

TBH - I came back here to help me decide if I sell or keep as the game locally and on the 'net seems dead.

I can understand money being tight and having to support the games that make money but leaving the plastic range half complete, the rehashing old books and warnings of stock-outs leave me cold and does not really aid growth with new players.

To misquote Benjamin Franklin - 'Advertise or Die'. Without players seeing the game in use, news, articles and new things the game will end up in the roof (like mine) and new players will never hear about it. Memories are fine but they do not pay the bills.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
selenite

I skipped the scenario contest because all the prizes were things I already had. A new Ogrezine issue, that I'd be tempted to do a scenario for.

The computer game is fun, but I have to leave a good chunk of my force behind to handicap myself against the AI.

Face to face games are going to be scarce until the pandemic's over and people have more time for get togethers.

With all of that, we don't have that much to talk about on the forums.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #10
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Think about it gents and gals. SJG just ran a Build a scenario contest and honestly I didn't hear or see about one entry. Even myself I let it get by me with the holidays and Covid crap. Maybe SJG will take another run at it. I don't need another mini sorry guys and I know that the rest of you do.

How many of you play the online game or even have it? I do and can't remember the last time I played it. Too much hassle getting steam up and running. I can be playing Star Realms in 15 seconds.

And we all have sizeable collection or board games. IF SJG would publish an approved solo variant for the ODE (Not Ogre, I can do that with Astra Titanus) we might see some activity. Solo gaming is super strong now. And using something similar to the Lock n Load Tactical Solo rules or Conflict of Heroes East Front Solo, I'd buy right now....Take MY Money.
Outstanding insight.
Closed Thread