Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2017, 01:38 AM   #71
TGLS

Default Re: [Game] Generate a military sci-fi setting

Answer 49:
The Collectors tried their best to isolate the passengers from each other. However, some individuals managed to escape their habitats and travel from one to another, braving the meteoroids and interstellar dust. Relatively lightweight goods were traded between habs. The Kusegu were well known for their ability to move hab-hop, and have repurposed this tradition to boarding assaults.

Occasionally, some members of one species settled in a hab belong to a different (or no) species. Collectors seemingly responded to this turn of events by ejecting the entire module out somewhere in interstellar space. This has made some of the ark species slightly paranoid of strangers, as well a general feeling of wariness when dealing with artifacts related to the Collectors.

Current Species List
1) Bahz (Gamblers)
2) Khorchon (Complicated Dominance System)
3) Chekta (Uplifted Rabbit-Like)
4) Cicads (Insectoid Gas Giant Dwellers)
5) Klaflhan (Giant Tentacled Psychics)
6) Kusegu (Waterbird Cryonic Serivitors)
7) Morlay (Cryosleeper Guardians)
8) Jardbwi (Cyborgs with Silicon Bioware)

Four more.

Question 25, open
Several factions and groups have been around since the twentieth century, how have they adapted to the current environment? Tell us about one.

Question 27b
What is the alien Population

Question 35
What weapons are used on space craft and Mechs?

Question 39
The Khorchon have been mentioned as a savage but intelligent species prone to eating foes and slaughtering children. What do they actually look like? what density is the medium they breathe? tell us what you can about their Physiology!

Question 41
What are earth's most notable uplifted animals? or does it not have any?

Question 43
How common are AI's?
What level of intelligence do they have?
Do they run on large supercomputer installations or smaller mobile platforms?

Question 50
For this kind of scenario to play out on Mercury, there would have to be some body that territorial claims could be made to- like the old International Court of Justice, a treaty body, or even just the court of public opinion. There would also need to be a way to enforce decisions or bring punitive measures against a defendant. So what's the situation?

Question 51 (NEW)
Are there any WMDs in this setting (in particular, weapons that are particularly dangerous that are used primarily as deterrant)?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #72
(E)

Alien race
The Jardbwi are a race that has been shaped by their history. Before they were collected for the Arc their home planet was attacked by a species unknown to the Sol system. This attack began with an orbital bombardment and was followed by the deployment of biological and ecological weapons. The infrastructure wrecked, the remaining population had to against the invading organisms for survival. It was during this period that the race developed a deep division, a few thousand Jardbwi had been trapped in orbital habitats after the bombardment. Over the next two generations the orbital branch of the species (Jard) supplied the planet bound Jardbwi with cyber ware and manufactured goods. Both branches of their race began using genetic and biological modification in differing ways aid in their survival. The Jardbwi prioritized the modifications that would aid survival against the hostile creatures now inhabiting the world, resilience, awareness, reaction time. The Jard focused on mental ability, low G adaptions and ability to work without rest for long periods.

When the Arc arrived in their system the Jardbwi had been fighting for survival for four hundred earth years, their entire surviving population didn't completely fill a single Arc habitat.

When the Jardbwi reach the first (male) stage of their development they are humanoids four to eight feet tall. Their build ranges from extremely stocky to skeletal in human terms. They have both an endoskeleton and an exoskeleton. Their second stage of development occurs when an individual is about one hundred and fifty earth years old, their body plan alters and the become a centauroid female.

The Jardbwi are a race that is basically* psychologically damaged as a result of their constant battle for survival and near extinction, as such some of the decisions they make both individually and as a group seem odd to other races. The operate out of two Arc pods and have completed the construction of a factory to mass produce the next generation of their species. They are beginning to search for more resources as a result.

Jardbwi cybernetics are less effected by SQID technology, for the same reason they find mental uploading impossible. They favour redundancy with their technology as demonstrated by their standard assault weapons which are frequently a caseless slug thrower with an under or overslung energy weapon.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #73
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Question 27b:
What is the alien Population?
The alien population is somewhere between 3-5% of the human population, or around 30 to 50 Billion.

Around 1.2 billion aliens arrived in the massive ark, added to by folks in cold storage, hibernation, or otherwise quickly created upon their arrival in the system, bringing the total up to around 5.5 billion. Earth had 120 billion at the time, but they were going through a disaster.

Note: Cicad numbers should probably be updated. the easiest method is to multiply all numbers by 10, but there is room to expand the totals as well.
Note: Ark size should be reworked. And arc spelling should be standardized.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On ark size, a few details:

31416 is pi*10,000 rounded. The habitats are stated to be "one mile long".
If habitats have a diameter half of their length and only one level, they provide ~ 1.57 square miles apeice.
If we use the values for oneil cylinder and stanford torus weights, that gives us a mass of 1.25*10^6 tons per square mile.
Issac Arthur, a futurist I like to follow, likes to use the number of 2 square miles of floor supports 5000 people with intensive hydroponics ***(further inspection reveals this is a lot of overkill. 20,000 is quite doable for two square miles)
If we want only 10% of the habitats inhabited by the initial population, we need 5 million square miles, which will weigh about 1.5*10^16 tons ***6^12 with original numbers. but we can do about 4 times less than that, or 1.5^11 for 1.25 million square miles.
If we don't use multiple floors, we need 100 20 times more habitats than we have for 5 (1.25) million square miles. (assuming a 1x.5x.5 layout)
If we make every floor an average of 8 yards high we have enough area. A little cramped, but doable. We could get some more by stretching "a little over a mile" to give us a little more space. hmm.
1.5*10^16 tons is about 1/60th of ceres. Massive and huge, but still within single-system mega-project range. ***1.5^11 tons is much smaller.

EDIT: Better numbers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 52:

A: what percentage of the ark was full of intelligent species?
B: What kind of gravity was used, and how common were exceptions?
C: Where multiple floors used in habitats?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 08-23-2017 at 09:26 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #74
Daigoro

Quote:

On ark size, a few details:

Issac Arthur, a futurist I like to follow, likes to use the number of 2 square miles of floor supports 5000 people with intensive hydroponics
If we want only 10% of the habitats inhabited by the initial popultion, we need 5 million square miles, which will weigh about 1.5*10^16 tons.
I fiddled around with ericbsmith's GURPS Spaceships spreadsheet a bit to figure out spaceship size, and it ended up being way smaller than I expected. For 1 billion passengers, I think it was SM+24 or something, only 10 miles long, for the population of China. I wasn't sure what to do with that though, so left it there.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #75
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I fiddled around with ericbsmith's GURPS Spaceships spreadsheet a bit to figure out spaceship size, and it ended up being way smaller than I expected. For 1 billion passengers, I think it was SM+24 or something, only 10 miles long, for the population of China. I wasn't sure what to do with that though, so left it there.
Does that include food though? most of the space needed in a generation ship is for food, and spaceships is kind of hand-wavy for that.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #76
Daigoro

It was with a bit of fiddling around, but it was only 1 habitat space with 1 or 2 open spaces, then leaving the rest for spaceship stuff.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #77
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Given the way we have the drives working, the bow-front field is going to be equivalent in virtual mass to a very large multiple of the SM-mass equivalent. I can probably do the math later. The matter part of the ship is just the part you see.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #78
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The big space filler on a generation ship is food. Even with conservative numbers, you need 2,000 square feet of space per person.

I think spaceships cabins are about 100 square feet a piece: sufficient for one person, cramped for four, and you need two of them to have a restaurant that maxes out 20 people. That means you need 20 cabins worth of floor space to keep one person alive. You might be able to drop that to 10 because plants reduce life support systems though. So that increases things by a factor of 10.

That still gives a mass a few orders of magnitude off what I wrote earlier. Some of that might be spaceships optimism, but its worth looking into the rest of it.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #79
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
The big space filler on a generation ship is food. Even with conservative numbers, you need 2,000 square feet of space per person.

I think spaceships cabins are about 100 square feet a piece: sufficient for one person, cramped for four, and you need two of them to have a restaurant that maxes out 20 people. That means you need 20 cabins worth of floor space to keep one person alive. You might be able to drop that to 10 because plants reduce life support systems though. So that increases things by a factor of 10.

That still gives a mass a few orders of magnitude off what I wrote earlier. Some of that might be spaceships optimism, but its worth looking into the rest of it.
The habitats were presumably intended to feel spacious, so I think you can fairly arbitrarily make them much larger than the bare minimum. It might be sensible to start with enough area for a small city plus supporting farmlands and a big natural park too, as the basic hab module.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #80
TGLS

Just kicking around some thoughts: I think one of the examples that were given of what a Human hab would be like was Tokyo metropolis; At 2,187.66 sq km, that would mean a hab would be huge! I figured it would be unclear to recent arrivals that they were in a spaceship, so artificial gravity in a large box (1 km?) is probable. With modern agriculture and an area of 2200 sq km, you can get 10 thousand people per percentage point reserved for agriculture. It is possible that some products could be shipped from Hab to Hab, planting false memories into the teamsters. With an average 65% agriculture per 2200 sq km hab, this implies a hab count of ~1846. But this doesn't work with mile long habs.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, military, sci-fi, setting