Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
ldj00

Default 1/64 scale roadways and bits

Hello,

Just was hoping to find a thread with a bunch of links to 1/64 scale roadways and bits (barriers, etc), but could not find such.

So, I am going to start it.

Anyone have any idea where to find/buy 1/64th scaled roadways and other items?

I have seen some PDFs for larger scales... and I have heard some say HO scale is close enough for some things (buildings?), but I have not seen it myself.

If I find anything I think is worth while, I will post links here. I hope others will help me collect resources to help each other find things to enhance our games.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
kbs666

Default Re: 1/64 scale roadways and bits

1/64 is also called 3/16ths, S scale (for train stuff) and 28mm (for gaming miniatures).

Note the most 28mm stuff isn't even close to actual 28mm scale (looking at you GDW). Generally 20mm is closer if you want people etc.

S scale is no where near as popular as it used to be so there likely isn't much choice in the train hobby.

Stuff made for Matchbox or Hot Wheels should be in 1/64 so that should work, and would be a likely source for Jersey barriers or barrels. Considering the stuff I've found you should be prepared to paint them or accept just how garish they are.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
woodchuck

For roadways you could always use Hotwheels playmats from the toy department from Walmart or Target. 1/72nd aircraft rocket and gun pods would work for weapons too.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
ldj00

Just more info I have researched and thought I would share.

Roadway/lane widths
US Highway Standard: 12ft or 3.7m
At 1/64 scale, that would be 57.8mm wide.

European varies, from 2.5m (~8ft 2in) to 3.25m (10ft 8in).
At 1/64, that would be 39.06mm to 50.78mm wide.

If I was picking a width to make roadway terrain, I would probably go with 60mm for highways or freeways, but for in town roads I would go with 52mm and narrow lanes or alleyways, I would go with 42mm.

This would allow compatibility with other scales that are close, such as 28mm (1/56) and 30mm (1/60 or what most 28mm miniatures are scaled to, so they look more impressive).

Going further in either direction would be problematic, for example HO or 1/87th would be much smaller (widest to narrowest): 42.5mm, 37.3mm, 28.73mm.

As for 20mm or 1/80, I do not think it is close enough, but that is my personal opinion.

As for children diecast toy car playmats, I have not seen any that really meets the needs for playing CarWars.

The closest was this, but then saw that a 1/64 diecast toy car fills both lanes off the road, and realized it just is not the right scale or even close.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #5
Fred Skin

Deep Cut Studio has a nice dirt track mat that comes in different materials & sizes starting at 4' x 4'. They also have a 6' dirt road with two half circles that can be trimmed for making custom curves. They have several city mats with suitable roads as well.
https://www.deepcutstudio.com/produc...-mat-gaslands/

Ramshackle Games has 1/64th weapons, armor, ork crews, and barrels & barricades
https://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/

Last edited by Fred Skin; 12-13-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
Magesmiley

If you're willing to poke around on eBay, the old Girder and Panel sets can be exceedingly useful for making structures such as buildings, elevated roadways, and barriers.

As far as miniatures to represent pedestrians, Reaper has a number of figures in their lines (Bones works well if you're going for inexpensive) which are suitable for use. Some of the marines, zombie fighters, and old west figures in particular look good.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!

Last edited by Magesmiley; 12-14-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote