Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
MIB#5864

Default 5th Edition

Hello people,

Anyone playing the 5th edition? I love it, but it doesn't seem to be so many players playing it.

Just checking the interest. If you have played the 5th edition and still prefer the older versions, please state why, I'd love to know.

Last edited by MIB#5864; 03-22-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Edited a spelling mistake
MIB#5864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Jeffr0

Default Re: 5th Edition

I play 5th with my eight-year-old son. It's a good fit for him. I use the fire rules from 5th as a drop-in replacement for the variant fire rules in my Compendium games.

My main complaint is that the low granularity in the 5th edition sequence of play creates some un-fun artifacts that undermine the tactics that surround good driving. Also... I love the original setting and play more of a role playing approach to the game. Finally... the vehicle designs in 5th edition are not balanced for fighting each other. (I don't necessarily need a design system-- I'd rather pull numbers out of thin air than use the stats for the 5th edition cars.)
Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
MIB#5864

Interesting. I see how the low granularity can reduce the possibilities of fancy driving. I usually play 6-8 player games though, and then it's just awesome. Less details makes it a lot quicker.

I've also reconstructed a Design Sheet that sort of works. There isn't enough details on the original cars to calculate space and engine power properly, but it works good enough for me. I've also found that players prefer some cars more than others. A car with HC 1 and 10 mph acceleration just isn't as much fun to drive as a one with 20 mph acceleration with higher HC.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB#5864 View Post
Interesting. I see how the low granularity can reduce the possibilities of fancy driving. I usually play 6-8 player games though, and then it's just awesome. Less details makes it a lot quicker.
If you can regularly play with 6-8 players, then I am supremely jealous of you.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
MIB#5864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
If you can regularly play with 6-8 players, then I am supremely jealous of you.
Once a year is regular, right?

Seriously, we have gaming night with 10-30 players every week and we usually play Car Wars once every month. Then it's usually a rather big table with 6-8 players as average.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
tikiphantom

I like the 5th edition. It's fun and fast. You play with more players and no is bored waiting for someone to finish there move. The only thing that failed for me was the lack of construction rules. I just imported over the 2.5 construction and played it that way.
tikiphantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th edition, car wars