Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
MartyW

Default Modding CW 5e

I'm going to run a 5e game for some friends in the next couple weeks and I need some advice on what I should mod.

Scale:
Currently, I will be using Hot Wheels and will be running the full scale 1" per 10 mph movement... BUT, I will likely have my hands on a plethora of micro-machines in the next week so that brings up the question of scale.

Micro-machines are about 2/3 scale to Hot Wheels (1 inch width vs 1.5 inch). If I switch to MM, should I hand-wave the scale change to be 0.5" per 10 mph? I know the math isn't quite right, but it seems like this would be the easiest to run/adjudicate.

Handling:
I don't like the handling reset 5e uses and am considering a gradual variant. Something like "1 + driver skill" per straight-line phase (everyone will have a 1 or 2) or "driver + HC" per turn. I don't recall which ADQ had Scott Haring's article on gradual recovery, but I'm sure I could dig it out if someone could let me know the issue number. I do need something simple and I don't want to over-penalize a Driver 1 in an HC 1 vehicle. Any other suggestions?

I have the 5e and original/Deluxe rules... but not Compendium 2.5, so if you have a 2.5 based suggestion, please elaborate.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Last edited by MartyW; 02-19-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typos
MartyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
kjamma4

Default Re: Modding 5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyW View Post
Micro-machines are about 2/3 scale to Hot Wheels (1 inch width vs 1.5 inch). If I switch to MM, should I hand-wave the scale change to be 0.5" per 10 mph? I know the math isn't quite right, but it seems like this would be the easiest to run/adjudicate.
In the Compendium rules, a car counter is 1/2" by 1" long not matter the types (i.e. a subcompact is on the same counter as a van).

If you use Micromachines, they can be put on a base 3/4" by 1.5" which is 1.5x scale. Hot Wheels are on a base 1.5" by 3" long or 3x scale.

Fifth Edition had different counter sizes based on the type of vehicle. However, if you play Fifth using Micromachines, just do what you said - make it 0.5" per 10 mph.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th edition, car wars, mods