Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #1
Immortal

Default Who decided which version of Car Wars would get re-released?

So, as the title states, who made the decision to re-release Classic Car Wars vs any other version of the game? I haven't been on this forum for a while, but out of curiosity, was this community polled or asked which version they preferred? I always thought that CWC2.5 was the most popular version, from what I gather they don't even have gas engines in this new version (Classic Car Wars), is that right? does anyone out there have more info?

Last edited by Immortal; 01-20-2015 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Cause I can...
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
LokRobster

Default Re: Who decided which version of Car Wars would get re-released?

There wasn't a poll or anything. My speculation follows:

As for who, exactly, I'm not sure it matters. I do understand the rationale behind the decision - CW Classic is the most concise version of the rules out there and is the closest to the original Box. It has the best chance of grabbing totally new gamers and introducing them to the Car Wars universe.

What I think is good about it is that if someone really likes Classic, then they can upgrade the 2.5 Compendium (pdf from W23) to get the additional vehicle types, power plants, and weaponry. A few rules differences exist (particularly ramplates), but for the most part it's possible to expand Classic to full Car Wars-ness with that one supplement.

A Car Wars Deluxe with die-cut counters might have been a consideration (like the Classic box, except with a big ole 2.5 Compendium book inside), but my guess is the additional cost and higher price point made it a less attractive option. With Car Wars 6e on the horizon, I think Classic is basically to fill the 'on-shelf' void that being out of print created, until such time as the New Shiny Box is released.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
Immortal

Default Re: Who decided which version of Car Wars would get re-released?

An interesting perspective, and thanks for taking the time to answer.
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car wars