Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #531
Nfinity

Default Re: Member House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjpp View Post
During a few games the last month or so, we have a new house rule for blank cards.
When the decks are shuffeld, we mix in a few blanks, and when you get a blank card, you have to create it on the fly. They may not duplicate classes etc, but items, curses and various enhancers and cheats are ok. If a value are requierd, a Munchkin die are rolled.

Needless to say, most of them are quite internal, refering to events most of the group have participated in or heard about.

A favorite is the curse: Fell of the Bridge, loose your armor or sink.
Refering to an event where one of the members of our group fell into a small stream. He slipped on the wet wood of a footbridge, trying to show off his good balance and got wet, and we all hade a bit of a laugh :-)
He's a good sport and can take the joke.
I do that one as well. Fantastic and fun rule.
Nfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #532
freakmirror

One of our favorite house rules is we have to say "GONG!" at the end of our turns. Like if we were hitting a gong. We love it. Every game we have to hear "well then gong it... jesus..."
Old 02-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #533
Clipper

I'm considering instating a house rule that changes the definition of "No Value" slightly. You can still sell such Items for 0 Gold Pieces, but you are not allowed to buy them.

This fixes several loopholes that deal with the card, Valuable Coupon. For example:
  • You could otherwise use it to buy every No Value card in the discards
  • You could use it in combination with Gift Card to get every Item of 400 Gold Pieces or less from the discard pile and every Item that hits the discard pile worth 400 Gold Pieces for the rest of the game.

I'm interested on thoughts to see if I will break anything by instituting this...
Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #534
SnakeChips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I'm considering instating a house rule that changes the definition of "No Value" slightly. You can still sell such Items for 0 Gold Pieces, but you are not allowed to buy them.

This fixes several loopholes that deal with the card, Valuable Coupon. For example:
  • You could otherwise use it to buy every No Value card in the discards
  • You could use it in combination with Gift Card to get every Item of 400 Gold Pieces or less from the discard pile and every Item that hits the discard pile worth 400 Gold Pieces for the rest of the game.

I'm interested on thoughts to see if I will break anything by instituting this...
I just thought of this, maybe Valuable Coupon should be rewritten and not even have "No Value" because in search I see tons of issues with this card in general. With "No Value" being removed, it isn't an item and could solve like all the problems I'm seeing in search about it. Just seems like the "No Value" part is what is making these loop holes.
SnakeChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #535
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeChips View Post
I just thought of this, maybe Valuable Coupon should be rewritten and not even have "No Value" because in search I see tons of issues with this card in general. With "No Value" being removed, it isn't an item and could solve like all the problems I'm seeing in search about it. Just seems like the "No Value" part is what is making these loop holes.
That would fix using it in an infinite loop, but it doesn't stop it being used to get all the other No Value Items out of the discards, which never seemed intended. Also, your proposal would mean it was no longer an Item, and it probably should be an Item, given it's a coupon.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #536
emillang1000

Quote:
That would fix using it in an infinite loop, but it doesn't stop it being used to get all the other No Value Items out of the discards, which never seemed intended. Also, your proposal would mean it was no longer an Item, and it probably should be an Item, given it's a coupon.
Really, the fix is very simple in one of two ways:

Add "Remove this card from the game" to Gift Card.

OR

Add "Then shuffle this card back into the deck" to Gift Card.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #537
GT Quigley

For some reason our group of beginners played under the assumption that "looking for trouble" meant you can play the monster from your hand to start the combat but, since you were looking for trouble anyone else who had a monster or two was welcome to throw down as many monsters as they wanted.

Play was as follows: I am looking for trouble, level one mall rat. Here comes the Wight Brothers and the plutonium dragon. A friend would then join to help because they want my treasure. Then another two monsters and a its mate would pile on helplessly burying us. Fun times.

Now we get a consensus before the start of the game if we want to follow the rules or have mayhem. It might be good for those who have decks which are player heavy.
GT Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #538
SnakeChips

Quote:
Ya but I don't think anyone else is concerned about the other No Value items because they do not create infinite loops. And the only reason to be an item is to be able to put it sideways on the playing field so you don't waste the number of cards in your hand or to trade it. But 99% of the time, the person uses it immediately, so the point of it being an item is kind of pointless anyways. That's just my opinion on it.
SnakeChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #539
Morgul_Maggot

Hey everyone! First post...

Right now, only real "House Rule" in my games would be during two player games. Charity is pretty much dropped for outright discards. I spend a lot of time playing Munchkin with the wife late at night.

During games with more people, however... Charity is fully enforced.
Morgul_Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #540
HPmunchcraft

When playing munchkin cthulhu if a card says become a cultist and there are no cultist cards available then I have the player got through the door deck till they find one and then shuffle the door deck.

I also deal 4 cards of each type at the beginning of the game but I could've swarn that's what it said to do in my rulebook.
HPmunchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice