Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 AM   #61
TurboCooler

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

At a very high level, I like what I see so far. This is far more approachable. There is no way I could ever get my friends or my wife to even attempt the older versions of CW and all the book keeping/math.

Since it was already mentioned in the comments on FB, I for one have no problem if this is CW Attack Wing. The X-Wing game is approachable enough that my wife plays and most of my friends. To the point that everyone is gathering at my house to play the Trench Run scenario before going to a midnight showing of Rogue One on the 16th.

Again, while there is nobody I know who will play Classic Battletech with me because of all the minutia that must be known, they are more than happy to play Alpha Strike Core rules any time.

If there is a melding of those two games in some way, I will be happy. Those who still like the Classic CW still have the older source material to play.

It will be interesting to see how the turns work. I would have expected turn rulers versus a pivot point. It seems that cars would turn a certain arc versus what looks like a pivot point.

Also, do not see how one accounts for speed. I would figure each car could have a speed that is determined by segments on a ruler (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.). Then you would have different turning arcs. Making a certain turn after going a certain speed on you previous turn would induce a sideways slide. I see a cratered mat that is being played, would love to know if there are terrain effects?

Is there a weapons range ruler as well? Or are all weapons active and do the same damage at all ranges?

So many more questions, but I will wait until more is revealed.

Will be interesting to see more.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #62
PresidentTwoeagles

That was a great Facebook post, thank you. Now I see how the turning key works, more or less (if there are drifts, I don't see how they work, but that's probably blocked by the hand). And if you lose it, you could always substitute with a butter knife!
Old 12-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #63
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentTwoeagles View Post
That was a great Facebook post, thank you. Now I see how the turning key works, more or less (if there are drifts, I don't see how they work, but that's probably blocked by the hand). And if you lose it, you could always substitute with a butter knife!
There's a photo in that post showing a lane change in progress. It is in the comments.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #64
PresidentTwoeagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
There's a photo in that post showing a lane change in progress. It is in the comments.
I see the one with the blue car above the turning key, is that it?

You're probably just not using your turn signal! :)
Old 12-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #65
Buzzardo

Thanks for the pictures, Phil. Good to see progress, and it looks to be coming along nicely. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #66
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentTwoeagles View Post
I see the one with the blue car above the turning key, is that it?

You're probably just not using your turn signal! :)
The underside of the base is notched to work with the stick.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #67
PresidentTwoeagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The underside of the base is notched to work with the stick.
I noticed that at least, that's very cool. When I first saw the space underneath, I figured it had something to do with movement.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #68
TheAmishStig

I thought I saw somewhere that momentum (speed) is still a thing, but I didn't see it in the pictures. Really hope it is, that's one of the big things that could distinguish it from the competition...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
Old 12-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #69
Magesmiley

A usability question now... for all of the various tokens that you seem to be stacking on the bases (and which I would presume have a tendency to fall off when you move the vehicle), have you considered something other than cardboard counters? Maybe plastic clings (ala Colorforms) or some sort of holes in the base for pegs?

And... that's the first time that I think I've seen the base with the gap underneath.

Other questions:

1. What is being done in the picture with the car with the blue stand base? Is that a maneuver, skid, or something else?
2. How big is the mat you're playing on?

One last observation...
The raised bases with room to slide a stick underneath got me thinking a bit. If you made the raised portion of the back narrow (just in the very middle, so there'd be a fat raised area in the front and a narrow area on the back) and used something narrow and rigid, such as a thin piece of strong plastic (or maybe a coated piece of steel wire like what Steel Sqwire used for their spell templates) to measure movement, you could mark the angles on the base for the different turns, and all you'd need for maneuvering was the stick for measuring how far. Essentially you'd just slide the stick under the base, align the start of the move on the stick to the corner you want to turn on, adjust the stick to the angle you want, and look at where the stick is poking out on the far side to see how difficult the maneuver is (based on the markings on the base).

That might add too much to the cost though. But, the tradeoff would be being able to do bends with just the a simple, straight, movement stick, possibly saving elsewhere on components. I can elaborate further on this if what I'm describing is not clear.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!

Last edited by Magesmiley; 12-06-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #70
ColBosch

Ah, looks great!
Closed Thread