Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Fighting Gods

I was looking through my Pathfinder books the other day and came to the realization that GURPS, while generally a mechanically superior system, does not deal well with fighting demigod level creatures. For example, Nocticula is a Demon Lord in Pathfinder, and she possesses a +54 attack bonus with her crossbow, which would roughly translate to a skill 64, and an AC 48, which roughly translates to a Dodge of 48. I believe that she would be a 4,000 point character in GURPS, but she is CR 30 in Pathfinder.

In Pathfinder, with a couple of years worth of standard play, a party might be able to becomd powerful enough to threaten a demigod. In GURPS, a couple of years might turn a character from a 500 point character to a 1,000 point character, but they would never be able to scratch a properly designed 4,000 point demigod. I am not saying that one is better than the other, but I believe that GURPS lacks the ability to power climb, for better or worse.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Toptomcat

Default Re: Fighting Gods

The default character point progression rate of GURPS isn't set in stone. In genres that it makes sense to accelerate it- such as dungeon fantasy- it's entirely appropriate to do so. I believe DF 3 explicitly makes this point.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
mr beer

I tend not to convert demigod level beings by those kind of formulae, but prefer to instead to have max/superhuman stats and add various powers.

So for example a demigod might have something like ST 30 HT 20 DX 20 IQ 20 and Altered Time Rate, Damage Reduction 3, Enhanced Time Sense, DR 20 (Forcefield), Regeneration: Fast and primary combat skills around 30. They would have other things as well, like spells, mobility (Flight and/or Warp), Terror, very high or very low Appearance etc.

That's if I intend them to be killable by PCs.

But yes if you start GURPS dungeon delvers at 250 CP and advance them at 2 to 4 CP per session, it's going to be tough to challenge 4,000 CP demigods any time soon.

I use GURPS to run D&D games with a vastly superior engine but it's not an emulator without a lot of work. I'd rather not emulate a lot of D&D crunch anyway. If you wanted to more closely mimic the rapid level progression current D&D editions provide, a starting point might be to go with 150 CP characters and hand out something like 25 CP per session, with rules on what that can be spent on.

Last edited by mr beer; 08-21-2018 at 04:57 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Anthony

Two points:
  1. NPCs are rarely built with an eye towards point efficiency, and are certainly not built for point efficiency in a completely different game system. It's quite possible that 500 point GURPS PCs could deal with a 4,000 point villain.
  2. Pathfinder is generally designed around greater power escalation than GURPS, but like most versions of D&D, it starts breaking down above about level 10.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
GWJ

It's because of how gods etc. are created in Pathfinder. You wouldn't call this "properly designed god" if it could be accurately translated on GURPS mechanics.
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

Why would I not optimize a NPC for their point value? I have taken more care designing my NPCs than most of my players have ever taken in designing their PCs. If I design a 4,000 CP NPC, my players will have to bring their A+ game even if they are all playing 2,000 CP PCs. Of course, a 2,000 CP group should have trouble with a 2,500 CP NPC because an extra 500 CP is devastating in GURPS.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
mr beer

'optimise' how exactly? Running a multi-dimensional religious empire presents different challenges to running a battlefield to struggling against other demigods to crushing PCs. Something that excels at one may be less competent at others.

As to why, well you don't have to adhere to a points budget at GM so you can design as you please. If you choose to stick to budgets in order to maintain a power/level ranking system, of course you can but it's not a requirement for NPC design.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

While every GM is different, I always keep to point budgets. It just seems fairer to me.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I was looking through my Pathfinder books the other day and came to the realization that GURPS, while generally a mechanically superior system, does not deal well with fighting demigod level creatures. For example, Nocticula is a Demon Lord in Pathfinder, and she possesses a +54 attack bonus with her crossbow, which would roughly translate to a skill 64, and an AC 48, which roughly translates to a Dodge of 48.
Does it? Based on what?

Quote:
Why would I not optimize a NPC for their point value? I have taken more care designing my NPCs than most of my players have ever taken in designing their PCs. If I design a 4,000 CP NPC, my players will have to bring their A+ game even if they are all playing 2,000 CP PCs. Of course, a 2,000 CP group should have trouble with a 2,500 CP NPC because an extra 500 CP is devastating in GURPS.
Well one reason why you wouldn't optimize an NPC (for combat) is that when that NPC is a "god" then you are probably well advised to invest heavily in some very expensive advantages that have nothing to do with fighting a mortal opponent at knife fight range, something they'll rarely be doing and the outcome of which won't generally matter that much to them anyway. I mean they're immortal, right? Getting stabbed by a mortal may be annoying and embarrassing, but it's not exactly a matter of life and death.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
While every GM is different, I always keep to point budgets. It just seems fairer to me.
But you set those budgets. In what manner is that 'fair'?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote