Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #21
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Playing in the world of the Willow movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I just found out that there are three novels written in the setting as well. I had no idea and are now going to see if I can find them. But until then my only source are the movies.
The Willow Game

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:47 AM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Why would the faery queen not put two of her most competent brownies to be guides? Why would she send 'the stupid ones'.
The Fey Queen is a creature of magic, she may have been guided to that choice by Fate.

Or maybe by having bumbling, but otherwise brave and competent helpers, Willow was forced to take more and more of a role as 'the hero', thus ensuring he'd be there to fake out Bavmorda when and where he was needed. So the Fairy Queen made sure Willow would be forced into this role.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #23
Bobcloclimar

Quote:
NB. I just found out that there are three novels written in the setting as well. I had no idea and are now going to see if I can find them. But until then my only source are the movies.
I recall seeing a copy at a library sale about ten years ago - I think Lucas co-wrote those. Whether that makes it good or not is left as an exercise for the reader :D.

If you want some additional inspiration, take a look at the Willow arcade game. It's about as canonical to the movie as any licensed game from that era, but there's probably bits that could be lifted and incorporated fairly easily.
Bobcloclimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #24
Lord Dynel

I didn’t see it mentioned, but there was an actual RPG supplement for Willow released in 1998, that is compatible with 1st edition AD&D. That said, it’s got more than enough information to make the necessary conversion to GURPS, and has a fair amount of setting lore to be beneficial. If one wants to run a Willow-based campaign, I would recommend this accessory.

The Willow Sourcebook

Hope this helps!
Lord Dynel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
It is a basic rule of scientific observation that an observed subject is assumed to represent the norm absent strong evidence otherwise.
Kind of feels like uncomfortable logic when dealing with sapient species. I'd much rather hold off on assuming a single example is the norm to avoid unfortunately implications.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

I wouldn't feel comfortable making any declarative statements about a statistic of one. For example, if you only had my cat Timmay to go by, you would make a lot of erroneous conclusions about cats.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #27
Phantasm

My suggested Brownie template:

Brownie
15 pts

Brownies are a tiny people, standing an average of 6 inches, with dark skin and hair. They inhabit the woods, living in small tribes. Their typical diet consists of meat from forest rodents supplemented by foraged fruits, nuts, berries, and bird eggs.

Contrary to public opinion, Brownies are not stupid. They just have a different culture than Nelwyns and Daikini. (As such, they suffer CF penalties when interacting with larger folk; the reverse is true, too, as larger folk suffer CF penalties when dealing with Brownies and Faeries.) They are at home in the woods, able to craft traps and ropes that can down and hold grown Daikini.

Brownies have a reputation among the larger folk for being pests and vermin. While most don't stray far from the woods, a number of their more adventurous members have found their way into Daikini and (more rarely) Nelwyn lands, where their small size and direct manner gets them into trouble.

The most notable Brownie tribe lives in close with the Faeries, answering to the Faerie Queen Cherlindrea.

Attribute Adjustments: ST -6 [-60]; DX +2 [40]; HT +2 [20]
Secondary Characteristic Adjustments: SM -6.
Cultural Familiarities: Woodland Fae.
Advantages: Catfall [10]; Outdoorsman 2 [20].
Disadvantages: Low TL -3 [-15].

Racial Power-Ups:: Absolute Direction; Limited Camouflage (Woodlands), Speak With Animals (Birds), Super Jump.

Faeries would have Flight (Winged) and Illumination, and likely have Magery instead of Outdoorsman. We're not shown much about other Faerie abilities; it's likely that Faeries don't exist entirely in the material world, while Brownies are more akin to mortals in nature.

Again, I reiterate my belief that Franjean and Rool - and Brownies in general - do not suffer from a low IQ score. They suffer CF penalties when dealing with more Human cultures, but in their element are able to outwit larger folk with ease. Franjean and Rool were chosen not because of their intelligence but because of their adventurous natures.

They may scare easily when faced with a screaming Big Person, but we'd scare easily when faced with a screaming Godzilla-sized creature.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-29-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #28
Flyndaran
Untagged

Strength 4 is that of a house cat. I don't remember them showing such enormous proportional power.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:34 AM   #29
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
As for the brownies. As I said upthread, they are put in charge of guiding Willow to his destination, a quest which is more or less "end of the world stuff". Why would the faery queen not put two of her most competent brownies to be guides? Why would she send 'the stupid ones'. This is why I think the race as a whole has a low IQ (but not will or Per).
Maybe the Feary Queen can see the two Brownie's destinies.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG

Last edited by Lord Azagthoth; 08-30-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #30
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dynel View Post
I didn’t see it mentioned, but there was an actual RPG supplement for Willow released in 1998, that is compatible with 1st edition AD&D.
This seems to be a supplement to the game I posted earlier and was probably published in 1988 or 1989 rather than 1998.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low fantasy, setting building, willow