Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
Tigrah2k

Default Concept power assistance.

I have a concept in mind. It's probably the closest to a functional concept I've ever had for this guy. I need some suggestions on what rules to look at to finalize his main powers, and suggestions on how to do the rest of his powers.

He has several base powers.

1. EP (probably above 200 points; regenerates even if he's "dead")

2. Unkillable 3 (with restriction, costs EP to use (not a small amount), and will not work until he has regenerated EP enough to for it to go off)

3. Regen (1 HP/sec at minimum) (Modest EP cost to start, plus per tick EP cost)

4. Striking/ Lifting ST (cost EP)

5. Super Dexterity if it exists (cost EP)

6. Super HT (cost EP, but doesn't enhance FP)

7. Ability to create elemental weapons (cost EP, and provides a focus for other powers)

* Base elements: Fire, Earth, Wind, Water, Electric, etc. (modest EP cost, provides a specific elemental focus)
* Elemental Blade: Omnielemental (heavy EP cost, provides all elemental focus)

8. The ability to create effects that utilize the elements using his elemental focus weapons

* the ability to project an element from his blade (fire, shards of earth, wind gusts, ice or blasts of water)
* the ability to create constructs of elements (walls of element, etc)
* other abilities typically seen as advantages (not sure here, will probably develop these as I get a better grasp of how you guys would suggest doing his other abilities and as this character grows)

He has one major weakness. If he's cut off from the "Energy of All Things", he is limited by whatever energy he has readily available. If he burns that before reestablishing his link to his source, he's susceptible to permadeath until the link is reestablished. He still can't truly be destroyed, but can be effectively permanently killed if no one can figure out how to reestablish his power source link.
Tigrah2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Concept power assistance.

Costs FP on almost everything, High ER.
I dont think Costs FP should be on Unkillable though. If he does not have enough EP to power it he is vulnerable to death.
Costs FP on Regeneration will limit the body reforming without access to that energy.

Powers sounds like all you need, though maybe Power-Ups: Enhancements as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Tigrah2k

Thank you. That's very helpful. But, which advantage/power would be best used for the power to manifest elemental weapons?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Anaraxes

What do the elemental weapons actually do? They could be as simple as special effects, just fluff text -- "the flaming sword of fire appears in his hand as he points it toward you to use <ability x>".

They're possibly the basis for a tiny Environmental Limitation on other powers. "Must have Fire Weapon in hand to use this ability". I hesitate to make that even -5% for a weapon that can be summoned at will.

Different elemental powers might go well in an AA set -- assuming you can have only one elemental weapon at a time, and nice sets of other powers depend on having that weapon. (Strictly speaking, RAW doesn't talk about AA groups of sets of powers, but I'd probably just build it that way for convenience.)

You could also call it Alternate Form, where the forms are "guy with fire sword, guy with ice sword, guy with crystal sword, guy with lightning sword"... Summoning a new sword is changing form.)

The weapons themselves are most likely Innate Attacks, possibly with Limitations like Melee Attack (if you can only hit things with your sword, and not use it to throw fireballs).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Tigrah2k

They are functional weapons, each attuned to a specific element (the omni elemental being different, but much more expensive). He literally has to have one of these to use most of his "combat/utility" powers. Only his base powers are exceptions.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrah2k View Post
They are functional weapons, each attuned to a specific element (the omni elemental being different, but much more expensive). He literally has to have one of these to use most of his "combat/utility" powers. Only his base powers are exceptions.
What do they do in terms of gameplay? Extra damage? Fatigue damage? Ignores armor?
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrah2k View Post
If it is one item for all intents and purposes and can only x power and not y power or vice versa then Modular Abilities would help. Power built on n points can be changed to a different power of equal or less points. Flaming sword could be changed into an ice shield etc but cannot use both items together.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Tigrah2k

I view these weapons as being somewhat more effective than their natural counterparts, with traits related to the element they are focused to. Deciding those traits has never been easy. in the case of fire and water, they'd have burning and freezing effects. Earth and wind aren't so easy. Electric would contain a stun/shock component.

I have thought about the idea of somehow looking at their common powers, and creating a single modular ability (didn't know it actually was a thing in GURPS) which would switch it's element and maybe one or two specific traits based on which element was in use.

The best example of that, are the projected powers. Ie: fire blasts, wind gusts, ice and rock shards, and lightning bolts...
Old 08-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
smurf
Banned

An item can be a proverbial 'Swiss Army Knife' with all manner of abilities with Modular Abilities. In a Supers Game I designed a power suit with 5 different 'settings' or abilities.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #10
Tigrah2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
An item can be a proverbial 'Swiss Army Knife' with all manner of abilities with Modular Abilities. In a Supers Game I designed a power suit with 5 different 'settings' or abilities.
Honestly, as of the comments here, I actually thought of that idea. Set up a sword that has a function very similar to Hawkeye's bow in The Avengers.

Smurf, how did you handle that? Was it simply using the modular abilities or whatever it's called? Was it reasonably balanced, as far as multiplayer campaigning?