Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:35 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: How big is an Ogre?

The original rulebook, which only went up to Mark V OGREs, said they got up to 50 meters. Notably more than 90 feet long.

Also there's the matter of the classic action illustration of a Mark V used on The OGRE Book and later OGRE pocket books, which shows one handily crushing a heavy tank, which they can do in the game too.

I think the new models are not to scale with the size they were (originally?) meant to be.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:24 AM   #22
Tom H.

Default Re: How big is an Ogre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
Ok I know that this might sound stupid but those dimensions sound small. Was that a Mark I pehaps? I seriously imagined and Ogre Mk III as something that made the world tremble as it approached from miles away. Blocked out the sun... had bumper stickers that said "Really freakin huge wide load!!"

Assuming that you're quoting 40 foot wide, 90 foot long and 40 foot high... it seems tiny.

Oh well, I asked and y'all answered so thank you very much.
Ogres are not as big as you imagined. I understand that Steve was trying to stay in the realm of a "realistic" future when he designed the game, so the tanks were not fantastically large.

And remember that even with those "small" dimensions the 3-D structure is actually going to be very heavy.

I don't know much about the SciFi Bolos, but those may be the outrageously sized tanks you are imagining.

Deceptively, various Ogre artwork can tend to distort the true nature of their size either to evoke a mood or due to misconception.

Would you like to see scale digital comparisons of the various Ogres, with an M1 Abrams, and a human?

Well, I found them online. Winchell Chung, the original Ogre artist, has a Flickr site with lots of digital models.
For example, go here.

It would be great if SJ Games could get permission to include some of these models in their products.

(It looks like this is an old thread that got re-activated, but I hope this post is still valuable.)

Last edited by Tom H.; 01-14-2020 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote