Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
nicholaslovell

Default Pickup question

Hello all,

I've been searching through the rules but can't find an answer.

I seem to remember that pickups can't mount weapons at the back? Is this right? Am I going mad? And what about campers?

Any guidance gratefully received.

Nicholas
nicholaslovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Pentalarc

Default Re: Pickup question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaslovell View Post
Hello all,

I've been searching through the rules but can't find an answer.

I seem to remember that pickups can't mount weapons at the back? Is this right? Am I going mad? And what about campers?

Any guidance gratefully received.

Nicholas
I don't think you're going mad, though I'm not sure where you got that from.* Pickups (and campers) can mount weaponry exactly like any other car body style.

About the only thing I'm thinking you got that from is the rule that helicopters without cargo space cannot mount rear weaponry.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
nicholaslovell

I seem to remember that the back was the cargo area. Was unprotected by armour from above. So couldn't carry weapons.

But maybe I just made that up :-(
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Pentalarc

Quote:
I seem to remember that the back was the cargo area. Was unprotected by armour from above. So couldn't carry weapons.

That might be a house rule, but it's not official. . .and in my opinion would be a mistake.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Parody

Quote:
The cargo spaces on a pickup are not protected by Top armor (ADQ 8/3, ODQ) but that doesn't make weapons pointing out the Back facing unprotected.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
Pacey

Quote:

Sounds to me like you've been playing Dark Wind ;)
Pacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
swordtart

Sadly the logical layout for a pickup with all the cargo in the rear isn't mandated in the rules. Apart from that reference to the open top nature of pickup-bed in ADQ 8/3 and inconsistent statements about tripod weapons in the bed, the fundamental design styling was left for you to impose.

You can put the plant in the front or back of any car (classic styling would be a front mounted plant, but it is not mandated). A viable configuration is crew compartment front, Cargo middle and plant rear. If that cargo happens to be the open-topped bit of a pick-up...

Pre-designed chassis were quick and easy in the pocket-box game. Once we started to have advanced car design rules and then sun-roof, convertible, open-top, camper shell what have you it would have made more sense to simple define cars by their size (number of spaces) and allowed all versions to have dedicated cargo spaces (at a reduced weight as it won't need all that structural stuff) and make it a user option to make them open top (either no top armour at all or something like the the half-top for boats). We could then have done away with the whole camper-shell controversy.

GURPS vehicles does all this quite well and I'd be inclined to scrap the CW vehicle design rules and instead invest the time and effort into a decent conversion of the GURPS rules. Were all going to be using spreadsheets anyway, we might as well have the full joy of opting for cheap but heavy materials and gas turbine plants.

A flatbed trailer must have a special box to mount weapons. A dump trailer (which is just a flatbed with sides) gets to mount weapons up to 1/6th its spaces. For that matter why should van trailers which are flatbeds with sides get to use all their space as vehicular components. As someone else posted here once, it should really all be cargo space.

Cargo really isn't done well ;(
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
You can put the plant in the front or back of any car (classic styling would be a front mounted plant, but it is not mandated).
I believe you can actually put the plant in the middle as well.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
nicholaslovell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacey View Post
Sounds to me like you've been playing Dark Wind ;)
Pacey is so right. Thank you for helping me work out where the rule came from.
(PS I'm Valiance... Sightly wondering if you are goat, but thought he was Sheffield, not Leeds.)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Pacey

Quote:
Pacey is so right. Thank you for helping me work out where the rule came from.
(PS I'm Valiance... Sightly wondering if you are goat, but thought he was Sheffield, not Leeds.)
Haha, no I'm no Goat (thought he was Bradford-based). There's a clue in my forum name - look for a similar gang name...
Pacey is offline   Reply With Quote