Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
SCAR

Default Impulse Points, Limitation (Only for specific usage)?

Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys gives a suggested cost of [5] points per bought Impulse Point, and (at least) [10] per increased refresh (default refresh for a Pool is 1 point per session). This gives a cost of [5] for 1 IP, [+15]* per additional IP, for a pool of Impulse Points which Refreshes fully each session.

What might a fair Limitation value be if those points could only be used for a specific Impulse Buy? or to power a specific ability?

If a campaign is using Impulse Points, and different types of points (Destiny, Serendipity, Impulse, Wild Card, etc) are treated as independent pools, then there probably isn't any particular reason to allow a Limitation on bought Points.

If a campaign uses a single pool of points that can be spent on whatever different options are available, then Points which can only be spent on a specifc type of action, a specific action, or a specific Ability would seem to support the option of a Limitation on the point cost.

The only reference point is Wild Card Points, where you get 1 WCP per [12] points in the WC Skill. This would represent a -20% Limitation on the [15] Point cost per unrestricted IP. This isn't a perfect example, since the WCPs are essentially a 'freebie' given for points spent on the Wild Card Skill itself, but it's a start.

The specific example I was wondering about (which led to considering the general case), was Bullet Time (Martial Arts p113, Gun Fu p14).
If you have the Prerequisite you can use Bullet Time for 3 Bonus Points per Turn. I was trying to figure a fair value for a Leveled Bullet Time Ability, where each Level allowed 1 Turns usage of Bullet Time per session.
If 3 BP which refreshes every session costs [35] points (or [45] if we charge the full [15] points for the first level, which might be simpler), then [45/level] would be a starting point for such an ability.
Since the BPs can only be used for Bullet Time, then a reduced cost might be fairer, -20% would make this [36/level] - does that seem fair? should it warrant a bigger Limitation?
I think [15/level] would be an absolute lower limit (effectively buying the 3BPs, and getting the Refresh for free), but that does seem too good a deal!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Impulse Points, Limitation (Only for specific usage)?

I was asking about a similar thing in another thread, and it seems you should not modify the 'trait' that gives and recharges points. On the other hand, Aspected -20% seems fair, and is the number you came out to. I would allow that for Bullet Time Only. It's so cool I'd get IP just so I can use it.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I was asking about a similar thing in another thread, and it seems you should not modify the 'trait' that gives and recharges points. On the other hand, Aspected -20% seems fair, and is the number you came out to. I would allow that for Bullet Time Only. It's so cool I'd get IP just so I can use it.
Like Luck or Serendipity, Destiny (the version which gives Destiny Points) which is what this would basically be, is a meta-trait, so I can see where Modifiers should be more restricted, but I don't really see why they can't be modified - just as Aspected is intended for Lucky and Serendipity (etc), and Luck as other Enhancements.
Aspected certainly seems fair - certainly in this case.

IP is a very cool addition to the GURPS rule set.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Like Luck or Serendipity, Destiny (the version which gives Destiny Points) which is what this would basically be, is a meta-trait, so I can see where Modifiers should be more restricted, but I don't really see why they can't be modified - just as Aspected is intended for Lucky and Serendipity (etc), and Luck as other Enhancements.
Aspected certainly seems fair - certainly in this case.

IP is a very cool addition to the GURPS rule set.
Any trait intended for Luck and Serendipity is probably fair for Destiny: Points. Even Wishing is probably fair, considering it has about as much use on Destiny as Luck.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
SCAR

Quote:
Any trait intended for Luck and Serendipity is probably fair for Destiny: Points. Even Wishing is probably fair, considering it has about as much use on Destiny as Luck.
I'm really not sure how Wishing would apply to a Destiny/Impulse Points Pool - especially one intended for use with Bullet Time!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
I'm really not sure how Wishing would apply to a Destiny/Impulse Points Pool - especially one intended for use with Bullet Time!
To be able to do everything you can with IP, but on other people. Such as give someone else Bullet time at the cost of 3 IP. Very cool if you are the only ETS in the party. It's not incredibly handy, but probably worth it for character concepts and coolness.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
SCAR

Quote:
To be able to do everything you can with IP, but on other people. Such as give someone else Bullet time at the cost of 3 IP. Very cool if you are the only ETS in the party. It's not incredibly handy, but probably worth it for character concepts and coolness.
Oh, yes - neat. I must write that one down.
A levelled Bullet Time ability, with the option of taking someone else with you. (Along with either | or variants).
Old 05-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
kirbwarrior

I've always like the idea of Wishing without having the ability to use it on yourself; you can Bullet Time others!