Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-26-2015, 02:04 AM   #1
Warden

Default Size and Speed/Range Table

Is there a problem with the Size and Speed/Range Table chart on Campaigns page 550?

Sorry this post is a bit vague; I don’t know the details but I'm sure I remember a few people voicing concerns over it in the past.
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Size and Speed/Range Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden View Post
Is there a problem with the Size and Speed/Range Table chart on Campaigns page 550?

Sorry this post is a bit vague; I don’t know the details but I'm sure I remember a few people voicing concerns over it in the past.
The table is fine. What people object to is the table being used in cases where they don't think it should be. Mostly when its used to price a power or spell. There are others who think its just fine though.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Warden

Thanks Eric
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The table is fine. What people object to is the table being used in cases where they don't think it should be. Mostly when its used to price a power or spell. There are others who think its just fine though.
Eh, not entirely. The table itself can be induced to break credibility even when performing its' primary function.

For example, the torso of a man standing immobile at a distance of 101 yards is -11 to hit. The torso of a man also 101 yards away who is riding a motorcycle at 98 mph (49 yards per second) is also -11 to hit. I know comparisons like this do not come up very often in games but I believe it illustrates a fundamental, conceptual issue with the Speed/Range Table. If it's breaking in this case it's breaking more often but we just don't examine and/or compare the numbers in those cases.

Were I to design a new edition I would disentangle speed and range.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Eh, not entirely. The table itself can be induced to break credibility even when performing its' primary function.

For example, the torso of a man standing immobile at a distance of 101 yards is -11 to hit. The torso of a man also 101 yards away who is riding a motorcycle at 98 mph (49 yards per second) is also -11 to hit. I know comparisons like this do not come up very often in games but I believe it illustrates a fundamental, conceptual issue with the Speed/Range Table. If it's breaking in this case it's breaking more often but we just don't examine and/or compare the numbers in those cases.

which way is the man on the motorcycle riding?

if it towards or away from the shooter than it is -11

if it is across (like circling around the shooter) then you have to also take into account the speed. the rules are there for hitting a moving target but IDHMBWM.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
It's not the table as much as the way the table is used. Adding speed and range is a fairly odd rule.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
which way is the man on the motorcycle riding?

if it towards or away from the shooter than it is -11

if it is across (like circling around the shooter) then you have to also take into account the speed. the rules are there for hitting a moving target but IDHMBWM.
Fred is taking the speed into account. His point is that, if the motorcycle is driving across, you add the range (101 yards) to the speed (49 yards/second) and use that total (150 yards) to find the penalty (-11).

That said, he intentionally chose a very extreme example, though I certainly see his point.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Would it reduce the problem if you take the full value of the largest of speed penalty and range penalty, and half value of the other smaller penalty?

So that e.g. if the speed penalty is -11 and the range penalty is also -11, then you take -11+(-11/2)=-17?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Fred is taking the speed into account. His point is that, if the motorcycle is driving across, you add the range (101 yards) to the speed (49 yards/second) and use that total (150 yards) to find the penalty (-11).

That said, he intentionally chose a very extreme example, though I certainly see his point.
Ah, well as I said IDHMBWM
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:

Would you say it were easier for you to hit the motorcyclist if the target zoomed past you at a range of 2 yards at 98mph? (I.e. to shoot and hit while at the 2 yard mark?)
I suspect at that speed the target difficulty would be almost as hard.