Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #41
vitruvian

Default Re: Magic Weapon: Advantage or Signature Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
Yes, I did: the price from TL3 to TL9 jumped from $5000 for each of the final cost of the listed basic enchantments to $25000 each (based on the Monthly Wages for Enchanters listed in Magic as $700 at TL3 compared to $3,600 in TL9) - making the total cp for ACC+1, PUC+1, and Ghostsword added to a silver-edged tomahawk $75,120 or 5 CP.
What was the cost if you priced it out at 1 CP per 25 energy?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #42
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
There's no rule that says that implants and bionics have to cost points either. Chapter 9 of the Basic Set actually gives several options.
My personal House Rule for GURPS cyber is that Cyber cost CP during creation, Cash afterward, the logic being that CP represents time/training/personal development and the point of most cyber (like muscle/reflex enhancements) is to improve your abilities without time, training or personal development - that and the standard chromed up character in genre fiction tends to be introduced full of cybergear but dead broke...
Danukian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
My personal House Rule for GURPS cyber is that Cyber cost CP during creation, Cash afterward,
That isn't a house rule.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #44
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That isn't a house rule.
Not in 4e, but I have been using that since 2e - and in 2e & 3e it was a House rule ;)
Danukian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #45
Zed

What kind of price breaks are you putting on cyberware CP costs for the various draw backs it has in traditional shadowrun/cyberpunk. Losing humanity in the latter and essence in the former. Where essence is your capacity to use magic and be healed.

Are you basing your game off the original game materials or of the genre as a whole? Shadowrun had some very specific costing mechanics that could help you get the balance to the right flavor.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #46
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Yes, I did: the price from TL3 to TL9 jumped from $5000 for each of the final cost of the listed basic enchantments to $25000 each (based on the Monthly Wages for Enchanters listed in Magic as $700 at TL3 compared to $3,600 in TL9) - making the total cp for ACC+1, PUC+1, and Ghostsword added to a silver-edged tomahawk $75,120 or 5 CP.
Also remember the TL3 $33/point is based on Enchanting Journeymen earning an "Average" wage. Is you want you Wage-Slave (to use the Shadowrun term) to be a "Comfortable" Job that jumps to $66/point at TL3

or in TL 9 $343/point
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #47
Lorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
If this is something that anyone can theoretically purchase, then buy it as Signature Gear. Save the "advantage + gadget limitations" builds for situations where you're buying something that doesn't normally exist in the game world -- something that can't be explained with whatever technology or magic exists.

So this sounds like Signature Gear to me.
In Shadowrun only mages can use magic, mundanes can never use it. A mundane can wear a magic item that is bound to a mage, but that is just burrowing the item. But it activates on the mage command.

I still think it should be build as an advantage - for Shadowrun. If it just sort of loosely based on the concept of mixing together Cyberpunk and Dungeon Fantasy then sure let it be bought with money (and/or signature gear), but if you are trying to re-create Shadowrun, then only mages can use magic, and thus it should be an advantage, IMO.

Mages in Shadowrun are no more common than Superabilities in a Superhero game, and in a Superhero game I would also have the Powersuit-Guy pay points as an advantage not as signature gear.
Lorka is offline   Reply With Quote