Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Magic Weapon: Advantage or Signature Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
Okay - I am starting a Shadowrun style [Cyberpunk + Fantasy] campaign, and was writing up sample characters when I noticed a major discrepancy in point cost for a magic item: I wanted to make a tomahawk that affected insubstantial for a Shaman. There are two ways recommended to do this as listed in The Book: as Signature Gear, or as an Advantage.

As Signature Gear: On B85, each point will give 50% of Starting Wealth -which at TL 9 is $30,000 - or $15,000 per point spent. Following rules in Basic, Magic, Thaumatology and Dungeon Fantasy, a Silver Tomahawk with Accuracy, Puissance and Ghostsword could be squeezed out in 1 point!

As an Advantage: Following the example on Thaumatology 115, The same weapon would be in the 20 point range (It doesn't have the Armor Divisor of the sample sword, or the stabbing Alternate Attack, but it can be thrown)!

Suggestions?
The lsited prices of magic items are set for TL3. Adjust costs to TL 9. Problem won't be as agregious.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Actually Puissance 2 would come closer to duplicating the +1d6 that the advantage version gives you. Also the Thaumatology weapon had a heck of a lot more DR than the enchanted hatchet so it should probably be Shatterproofed. But I'd hesitate before giving a character defining weapon "Unique"

Last edited by David Johnston2; 08-16-2010 at 03:23 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
hcobb

Quote:
Well TAU115 Gives an example of adding it a Striker Advantage, but the cost does not balance out well compared to building as equipment.
Harder to disarm and easier to add to a racial template.

But in spite of being an American weapon of war from way back to right now, the tomahawk seems be missing from the basic set. Add $10 and swing imp to hatchet?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90038&page=1

If GURPS isn't going to cover traditional American weapons, then why isn't it metric? (Yes, I know. You can put down that tomahawk now.... ;-)
Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Harder to disarm and easier to add to a racial template.

But in spite of being an American weapon of war from way back to right now, the tomahawk seems be missing from the basic set. Add $10 and swing imp to hatchet?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90038&page=1

If GURPS isn't going to cover traditional American weapons, then why isn't it metric? (Yes, I know. You can put down that tomahawk now.... ;-)
Per GURPS Martial Arts, a Tomahawk is a hatchet, small axe, or small throwing axe, depending on size and balance. Regrettably, the hatchet is the only one of those three in the basic set, but there you go.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #15
warmachine

I don't think the discrepancy actually indicates a problem. Signature Gear means that the distinctive gear is bought with money and, as others can buy comparable equipment on the open market, the item isn't that much of an advantage. A street punk could have something similar. The small CP cost is plot protection to avoid the annoyance of buying and customizing a replacement. Advantage means it's an inherent ability of the character and the average street punk can't compare.

Signature Gear should be used in worlds where powerful technology can be bought. Advantage should be used in worlds where power mostly comes from inherent abilities.

I've always thought that Signature Gear is fundamentally broken but that's another thread.

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #16
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
Signature Gear should be used in worlds where powerful technology can be bought. Advantage should be used in worlds where power mostly comes from inherent abilities.

I've always thought that Signature Gear is fundamentally broken but that's another thread.
Well, cybernetics breaks that definition: it's powerful technology bought as an advantage, so yeah - I'd have to say that the SG trait is broken RAW.
Danukian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #17
Dragyn

Quote:
Well, cybernetics breaks that definition: it's powerful technology bought as an advantage, so yeah - I'd have to say that the SG trait is broken RAW.
Yeah, but it's a powerful technology that's part of your body. Therefore, it's an inherent trait, not just a piece of equipment.

Back On-topic, I still say that something like a magic weapon should be built as an advantage with the Gadget Limitations. "Common" type items like that tomahawk should avoid the Unique limitation, though.

Thing is, using points for SG or for a Gadget, that assumes it's integral to the character. If it's not integral to the character, then they need to buy it with credits.

<><

Last edited by Dragyn; 08-17-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: more thinkin'
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #18
Danukian

Quote:
RAW: You have distinctive, valuable possessions unrelated to your wealth level. This gear is as much a part of your personal
legend as are your reputation and skills
. You must explain where it came from: you won your starship in a card game, inherited your magic sword from your mentor, etc.

For equipment normally bought with money, such as weapons and armor, each point in Signature Gear gives goods worth up to 50% of the average campaign starting wealth (but never cash). For anything built as a character, use the rules under Allies (p. 36) instead. It is up to the GM
whether to treat android companions, faithful steeds, custom vehicles, etc. as equipment (with a cash cost) or characters (with a point cost).

If you misplace Signature Gear or sell it unwillingly, or an NPC steals or confiscates it, the GM must give you an opportunity to recover it in the course of the adventure. If it is truly lost forever through no fault of your own, the GM will give you back your points (or replace the item with another of equal value). However, should you sell or give away your Signature Gear of your own free will, it is gone, along with the points spent on it!
This sounds like exactly what I want - it's not something any streetpunk can buy with money. Point for Point Sigear FAR outshines Cybernetics or items bought as Advantages!
And well I never intended on giving the tomahawk the "Unique" trait, taking it off of the example from THAUM115 RAISES the cost by 5 points, the same amount the entire item costs as Sigear!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #19
Dragyn

Quote:
This sounds like exactly what I want - it's not something any streetpunk can buy with money. Point for Point Sigear FAR outshines Cybernetics or items bought as Advantages!
And well I never intended on giving the tomahawk the "Unique" trait, taking it off of the example from THAUM115 RAISES the cost by 5 points, the same amount the entire item costs as Sigear!
It's really all about flavor.. how you want the item to be represented. I suppose that building it as an advantage would be more representative of a power than an item.

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #20
Danukian

Like I said, Sigear sounds like it represents my concept perfectly, it's just so cheap - stacked up to advantages and cyber, it's unbalanced.