Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
mehrkat

Default is there a way to make a power mimic

Hi I see several powers for Neutralize and Leech and ways to borrow powers.

I'm looking for a way that someone can "mimic" anothers power temporarily after he leaves them.

Neutralize - Power Theft seems closest but I don't want to take the power from the target.

It will be severely limited -- only usable when leaving a possessed body and can only take one at a time seems like a natural limit not even different points so I'm not worried about it being severely abused.

How would?
Neutralize Power Theft +200% only copies doesn't take -???% sound.

Is there a better way to do it?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: is there a way to make a power mimic

How about Modular Ability? One slot, plus a limitation for "Only Reconfigurable When Leaving Possessed Victim To Ability Victim Has". (Which isn't actually all that rare, as it's a condition under control the player.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
mehrkat

The problem I have with that is that since it will cost more it will automatically make the character unable to mimic any of the supers as powerful as he is in the setting.

Since I could build the mimic with neutralize and have the side effect of neutralizing the enemy.

So buying a neutralize ability for say a 300 point super power. (FYI I use multiplicative somewhat standard for supers)

50 points + 200% power theft + 300% cosmic = 300 points. -20% doesn't neutralize, -20% preparation required, -20% must be possessing = final cost 120

Building it with modular powers
(5 points (for one slot) + (300 x 3)) + 100% (physical and mental abilities) = 1810 points base -40% limited use can only use each power once, -20% seems fair for has to be possessing someone to mimic, add extra time -20% (as he must possess them for at least one minute) = 362

Not arguing that the power could be worth the higher cost just seeing if there is a better way to do it.

thanks for the reply by the way
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
PK

"Doesn't neutralize" is not a limitation. If anything, it's a +300% Cosmic enhancement. The ability to borrow someone else's powers without any cost to them is far more useful than Power Theft, because you can do it to your teammates willingly and be far more versatile than otherwise possible.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Phantasm

Indeed, Mimic of the X-Men (who once used the combined powers of Prof X, Angel, Beast, Iceman, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, and Banshee at the same time, and that wasn't even his full potential) is the one character that's giving me a horrible time statting in my reboot, for just this reason. Thing is, PK, I've been told that Neutralize (Power Theft; Cosmic: Does Not Neutralize Target) is not RAW-legal. Is that position being slowly reversed?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

See This Post
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post

The problem I have with that is that since it will cost more it will automatically make the character unable to mimic any of the supers as powerful as he is in the setting.
I'm not sure that should be possible for a PC in a campaign with the assumption "everybody starts out equally powerful" (i.e., built on equal points). An n-point character with a single set of fixed abilities is worth n points. Somebody who can emulate any such character has significant extra flexibility, and even if he can only pull off the emulation for a brief period, is quite evidently worth much, much more than n points. This is one of the major disconnects between superhero comics and superhero RPGs . . . comics don't actually have the premise "everybody starts out equally powerful," and also lack players with egos to bruise when their hero isn't as powerful as somebody else's. Mimic-style heroes are best put off-limits as NPCs and probably not built on points at all.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Affliction: Duplication 2 w/Construct + Extradimensional Payload + Power Theft = Subject's "template" is duplicated, stored internally, and reamplified as necessary to provide a continuing subject for Power Theft.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Otaku

Hmmm... so even using Modular Power, it wouldn't be that great of a Limitation then?

Completely on its own (e.g. for a character that is otherwise a normal human), it would seem simultaneously weak and yet fantastically powerful; with no one to copy, he's terrible. With a variety, he's amazing!
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Leynok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
If you do want to build a mimic power, I suggest making him only able to mimic bits of heroes. If you can perfectly copy the other PCs powers, then they will feel very overshadowed, after all you can just take any of their abilities as what fits the moment, or even enemies, and they are stuck being them. If you can only mimic a small bit at a time, your flexibility is less likely to step on other PCs shoes, and you are also more likely to all be of equal point builds.

Though I will reluctantly agree with Kromm, as much as I love copy abilities, they are best suited to NPCs, not players.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neutralize, power theft