Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2020, 12:08 AM   #1
Cursed_Lich

Default Predicting opponent's movements to attack

I was trying to create a character with precognitive abilities that uses these abilities for attack and defense. The defensive part was quite easy with all the Enhanced 'Defense' advantages but the offensive one where he can see the opponent's movements and breakthrough their defenses are giving me a headache (Ex: King Bradley [FMA] or Sharigan [Naruto]).

How can I give this character a flat bonus to hit with any attack, be it a punch, a dagger or gun? I would be satisfied even if I can only apply the bonus to melee attacks.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:37 AM   #2
Tomsdad

Default Re: Predicting opponent's movements to attack

How about simply a bonus to DX that is limited to hand to hand combat with active opposition that you are aware of and can interact with (plus whatever power limitation is appropriate to the power source). This would also cover the defensive side.

How much of a limitation that would be would depend on the campaign I guess.

(EDIT: Sorry Missed the gun bit, broaden it out to include guns if they are in situations you think this precognition would work in)

If you wanted to make it skill specific I'd just cost as the skill with the power source limitation

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-14-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:44 AM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed_Lich View Post
How can I give this character a flat bonus to hit with any attack, be it a punch, a dagger or gun?
Enhanced DX with power source (precognition).
Old 01-14-2020, 02:29 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Enhanced DX with power source (precognition).
Probably with Aspected: Combat Only (-20%) too, since it wouldn't make him a better dancer.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Culture20

You could use an aspected visualization with reduced time (enough to make it take a second or two of examining the opponent, but not make it god-like instantaneous)
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
Culture20

For defense, also consider danger sense with a limitation of "only opponents you are aware of" This would be useful for when you know you're surrounded by enemies; you could dodge the back-attacks by reading "the fight" itself (how everyone moves or looks at one another).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Probably with Aspected: Combat Only (-20%) too, since it wouldn't make him a better dancer.
It might. I mean, he only mentioned combat uses, but the fx support noncombat uses.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
Toptomcat

Quote:
It might. I mean, he only mentioned combat uses, but the fx support noncombat uses.
Is there a reason (Uses of DX in direct competition with others) wouldn't be a valid -20% Aspected limitation? That sounds closer to the mark.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
Andreas

Quote:
It also supports some contests of other attributes, as well as things other than contests. As far as I know, there is no existing gurps mechanic which gives you everything which you could do with precognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
Is there a reason (Uses of DX in direct competition with others) wouldn't be a valid -20% Aspected limitation? That sounds closer to the mark.
That sounds like too much of a discount. You can make a lot of activities into competition just by having another PC attempt it at the same time.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #10
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed_Lich View Post
I was trying to create a character with precognitive abilities that uses these abilities for attack and defense. The defensive part was quite easy with all the Enhanced 'Defense' advantages but the offensive one where he can see the opponent's movements and breakthrough their defenses are giving me a headache (Ex: King Bradley [FMA] or Sharigan [Naruto]).

How can I give this character a flat bonus to hit with any attack, be it a punch, a dagger or gun? I would be satisfied even if I can only apply the bonus to melee attacks.
For the specific description ("break through their defenses") you might want it even more limited:
Increased DX (Precognition, -10%; Limited: Only to cancel penalties for erratic target movement or making a Deceptive Attack, -?%)
Not sure what the ? should be replaced with, but it seems limited enough that I'd just say it but the -80% cap and price it at 4/level.

Tags
attacks, precognition