Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
jhite

Default Neutralize as a reaction?

While re-reading Powers and looking at the Derange variant of Neutralize, I had an idea, but I'm not sure how it would be modeled.

How would you build a Psionic Neutralize (Derange) which couldn't be used as an active, offensive action, but instead affected all incoming Psi powers which targeted the Neutralizer?

Obviously, this would need to eliminate the need to touch the victim, which I would presume falls under Ranged. To make a reliable psychic null, I'd add Cosmic (irresistible). But what would make the Neutralization into a counterattack? Would Reflexive do the trick? Reflexive doesn't seem to fit exactly, though it's close...
jhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Neutralize as a reaction?

Total rewrite of my reply

You want Ranged, Uncontrollable Trigger (threatened with a power), (Unconscious Only Possibly), and reflexive.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Goober4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
You would build it as an Aura,
Aura (+80%), Melee Attack (-30%) (to cover touch plus), Area Effect 2 (+100%) and Selective Effect (+20) if you don't want to affect everyone in your area, oh and Derange, (-20%) of course.
You may want to add an Accessibiliy too, to make it only work if they use a psi power on you. Otherwise, that automatically affects anyone you want in the area at all times.
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Walrus

Neutralize already assumes Melee, so you can't include it. I'd say more, you should add +5% to represent that it can't Parry at default but Aura assumes just -30% Melee.

For such defensive only use I'd go with Reflexive and maybe the same modifier as Interruption, -50%. And just Ranged without Area Effect. You don't need to affect everybody in Area - just those who target you individually.

And you can't forego resistance roll at all with any level of Cosmic. You can only add a lot of Reliable and, maybe, new version of Cosmic which overcomes Rule of 16. Or go with Weaponized, No Roll Required, No Active Defense allowed and Ignores DR.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
jhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
And you can't forego resistance roll at all with any level of Cosmic. You can only add a lot of Reliable
So you can't! Thanks for reminding me!
jhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhite View Post
So you can't! Thanks for reminding me!
You can bump up your Will. If you use the Psionic Powers model, you can increase your controlling skill.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counterattack, derange, neutralize, powers, psionic