Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2015, 04:59 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default [Supers/Ultra-Tech] Reflex Bodysuit Superhero/Villain Uniforms?

This matter is related to/inspired by my Marvel Reboot project, but is generic enough to consider the effects in other similar worlds, including IST.

Here's the situation: There is an organization out in the game world that is able to produce advanced ballistic fabrics, with properties equal to what Ultra-Tech calls "TL9 Reflex" armor (most superhero/villain uniforms will be based off the Reflex Suit, flexible DR 12 vs piercing/cutting, DR 4 against all other attacks). This organization can be a public corporation (ala Stark Industries), a private research firm (ala STAR Labs), a government agency (ala SHIELD, Checkmate), or maybe just a super with the ability to create and manipulate fabrics who decided to open a costume store; any of these can work; the source really doesn't matter overall if everyone in the supers game has access to it.

This will protect the super against the usual street thugs, of course, as it renders all but the most powerful pistol and SMG rounds nearly ineffective and can absorb punches from the most common thugs. Even against M-16/AK-74 style rifles/carbines, it'll reduce a the average damage (14 for 4d, 17 for 5d) to the 2-5 range. Still, those guns and regular ammo are easy to come by, and I expect that the common criminal won't have access to AP rounds or lasers.

But what are some of the less obvious effects of having reflex armor uniforms out there for the super-set, or even introducing them to a standard TL8 setting?

* In my Marvel Reboot project, I was going to have AIM, the organization whose whole schtick is advanced technology, produce this for places like the costume shops, sporting goods outfitters (hunters would appreciate the armor if another hunter shoots at them by accident), the police, and the major governments, with the latter getting the thicker tactical vest armor for SWAT teams and soldiers.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:33 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [Supers/Ultra-Tech] Reflex Bodysuit Superhero/Villain Uniforms?

Will they be available to non-supers as well? I'm sure law enforcement would love them, and a black market for them would thrive. Gun-related crime will go down considerably if the average citizen can buy one.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
smurf
Banned

Marvel does not share a clear linear TL progression.

Yes TL9 armour can be good. TL10 their is bioplas armour which also good. Not forgetting Clamshell armour.

Whereas Iron Man suit is a Warsuit but without the 'nuke power' and the other earlier armours are sort of progressions of battle suits throughout the TLs.

I would keep all Shield/Hydra at least +1 TL against the the background. Maybe weapons are +2? Adding in alien tech or the host of 'mad' scientists producing stuff too.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:10 AM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Will they be available to non-supers as well? I'm sure law enforcement would love them, and a black market for them would thrive. Gun-related crime will go down considerably if the average citizen can buy one.
It depends on the game world, of course, but I see no reason to keep reflex tactical vests out of police hands (usually reserved for SWAT teams). In fact, that might be a larger market than the superhero/villain market.

As for the average citizen, I can only go by my own personal anecdote. About 15 years ago in Pennsylvania I went into a sporting goods store and asked if they had any bullet-proof vests, to protect me when hunting. (I don't hunt, but I was considering getting my deer license that year and a .30-06 for it.) The guy at the desk said they didn't carry them, but he could order one; I don't remember the price he quoted. So I would ASSume that reflex armor - most likely restricted to vests covering the torso and vitals - could be available on order at sporting goods stores that cater to hunters. This would also imply that organized criminals (Mafia, Yakuza, Triads, etc.) will be able to get hold of them for their "private security" forces; the average inner city petty criminal, however, while he might be able to afford it he may not be aware of its existence.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 02-16-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:13 AM   #5
Wavefunction

Depending on how many individuals possess these suits I expect the first thing would be that more powerful weapons would become available to the common criminal. Or alternatively there will be a drop in non-super crime, or at least in armed robbery, since armaments suddenly become less effective.

Eventually I'm sure some villains would get there hands on some of these costumes, and since they're so durable, it'd force the police to increase the potency of their firearms. Which would probably have some undesirable results for individuals who don't possess the armour.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #6
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Marvel does not share a clear linear TL progression.

Yes TL9 armour can be good. TL10 their is bioplas armour which also good. Not forgetting Clamshell armour.

Whereas Iron Man suit is a Warsuit but without the 'nuke power' and the other earlier armours are sort of progressions of battle suits throughout the TLs.

I would keep all Shield/Hydra at least +1 TL against the the background. Maybe weapons are +2? Adding in alien tech or the host of 'mad' scientists producing stuff too.
Yeah, in my Reboot, it's essentially going to be AIM supplying all sides with TL9 reflex armor and the occasional TL10 pulse/laser weapon, while keeping the really good stuff for themselves. I'm not going into the clamshell or bioplas stuff just yet, keeping them for folks like Stark, SHIELD, Hydra, etc. -- basically, just prototype stuff from a gadgeteer rather than a mass-production scheme.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Or alternatively there will be a drop in non-super crime, or at least in armed robbery, since armaments suddenly become less effective.
The best body armor in the world doesn't protect you from a gun fired 6 inches from your face, and it doesn't protect completely from a crowbar to the ribs. It does help a lot, though.

I see one improvement your company/agency/super should make over the original model: find a way to provide the 12 DR against Impaling, and now your police are relatively safe from knives, especially the makeshift ones occasionally used in a prison.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #8
chandley

Quote:
The best body armor in the world doesn't protect you from a gun fired 6 inches from your face, and it doesn't protect completely from a crowbar to the ribs. It does help a lot, though.

I see one improvement your company/agency/super should make over the original model: find a way to provide the 12 DR against Impaling, and now your police are relatively safe from knives, especially the makeshift ones occasionally used in a prison.
The sad part about this is that DR 4 (Medium Scale, Fine Mail) is considered insufficient to be considered "stab proof", somehow...

Against common thugs in the ST 10-11 range, with a small knife, you are looking at 1d-3 or 1d-2 imp. DR 4 is plenty! It is still plenty all the way up to ST 14 really, especially if edge protection comes into it.

Note: High tech puts the Anti-Stab vest at DR 5F
Old 02-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
The sad part about this is that DR 4 (Medium Scale, Fine Mail) is considered insufficient to be considered "stab proof", somehow...

Against common thugs in the ST 10-11 range, with a small knife, you are looking at 1d-3 or 1d-2 imp. DR 4 is plenty! It is still plenty all the way up to ST 14 really, especially if edge protection comes into it.

Note: High tech puts the Anti-Stab vest at DR 5F
AoA for +2 leaves a 1d imp knife causing injury 1/3 of the time, and those aren't really odds I like. Let's also not rule out the oddball with a crossbow (me!), which would have no trouble vs DR4.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #10
chandley

Quote:
AoA for +2 leaves a 1d imp knife causing injury 1/3 of the time, and those aren't really odds I like. Let's also not rule out the oddball with a crossbow (me!), which would have no trouble vs DR4.
Anti-stab != anti-crossbow of course. To the original topic, I suppose it might mean that more thugs decide their lives are worthless and try to do AoAs in an effort to get a shiv through body armor...

Alternately, AP knives (LT: LTC 3 p.12) might actually become more popular. Alternately, AIM might decide to make a few bucks with a sideline in Superfine blades (UT p. 163). Those are +3 and +5 CF respectively, but given the basic cost of a small knife, that is still within the reach of a common mugger. This has the beneficial gamecentric effect of making heroes in uniform have to pay attention to knives, and also making knives potentially more popular than anemic pistols.

Tags
armor, supers, ultra-tech, ultra-tech armor, ultratech