Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #21
McAllister

Default Re: Damage to Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Hmmmm? Not sure what your disagreeing with, I was saying that a flat penlity to DR, no matter the type, was silly so I would think that on at lest some level we're in agreement heh.
Actually, I... hm, you're right, we agree that the flat -1 is wrong. My mistake, I must have been spoiling for a fight when I posted.

To be honest, though, it may be more trouble than it's worth determining exactly how much DR each armor type has.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #22
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Typically yes, though semi-ablative is not an ideal model, it's just one well established in the rules. Ceramic-type inserts, in particular, are prone to damage over a quite substantial area.
Ceramic inserts, sure, aren't they already semi-ablative under RAW? I was more thinking flexible ballistic armor. (And I suppose the question also goes for flexible and inflexible metal armors.)
Old 12-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #23
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Actually, I... hm, you're right, we agree that the flat -1 is wrong. My mistake, I must have been spoiling for a fight when I posted.
No problem, we all have those kinda days.

Quote:
To be honest, though, it may be more trouble than it's worth determining exactly how much DR each armor type has.
Oh, you just use the DR of the armor your using. If you have a DR 12 piece of armor on you just use Its DR of 12. Using RAW, to determine if it's damaged you'd subtract 1 from that 12. If you use my suggestion the armor would effectively protect its self with its DR x 0.9.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:

-1 seems like a simplification based on the assumption that armour has unimpressive amounts of HP and is Homogenous:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B408
An attack only overpenetrates if its
basic damage exceeds the target’s
“cover DR.” To find this value, add
together the target or cover’s DR
[ . . . ]
and
HP (for flesh), 1/2 HP (for a machine,
vehicle, or other Unliving target), or
1/4 HP (for a Homogenous object).
Use the object’s DR alone if it’s a thin
slab, like a wall or a door. Finally,
apply any armor divisor.
Armour does seem to count as a thin slab, and either Homogenous or Diffuse. So at most ¼ of its HP contributes to its Cover DR; the rest of its Cover DR is in fact its innate DR.
Assuming that a single ceramic insert or whatever is about 1 lb of mass, that's a HP score of 8. ¼ that is 2.
Inaccurate, but easy to use in real time, in the middle of a combat.

Tags
armor, ultra-tech