Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Aigol

Default Damage to Armor

Are there any rules for armor damage or degradation of armor particularly for Ultratech armors?

Also if a sealed armor is penetrated does it lose it's sealed quality? Like if space armor is shot through would it be useless in space?
Aigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: Damage to Armor

Armor damage rules exist on a spectrum from "no armor damage whatsoever except Corrosive attacks" (the default) to "determine the armor's DR and HP using its physical properties and apply the overpenetration rules to model it" (which is a little involved). A happy medium exists in Low-Tech Companion 2, although despite the name it should work fine for high-tech armor.

The summary, as I recall, is that any attack that penetrates armor also deals damage to it. Rigid armor is Homogenous, and flexible armor is Diffuse: it is protected by DR equal to the DR it provides minus one, and has HP based on its weight. I forget what happens when it runs out of HP, though. So, if my sword penetrates your DR 4 scale mail with a total of 6 damage, the mail is protected by DR 3 and takes 4 injury due to the cutting multiplier. If my spear penetrates your flexible chain mail, it will probably only take limited damage due to being Diffuse. If my spear penetrates your plate, I think the damage it can inflict is capped by the armor's HP based on the overpenetration rule in High-Tech.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Gedrin

IMC, which is non-DF fantasy, I only require armor repair if a character is downed in combat.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
<snip>it is protected by DR equal to the DR it provides minus one... <snip>
While that is what RAW says it should be noted that that Low-Tech uses a flat -1 do to the fact that almost all armor in those books is under DR 10 and for armor with higher DR it should be protected by its DR -10% instead.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
While that is what RAW says it should be noted that that Low-Tech uses a flat -1 do to the fact that almost all armor in those books is under DR 10 and for armor with higher DR it should be protected by its DR -10% instead.
Is that noted somewhere, or an idea of yours? It seems like a good idea. I hope GURPS actually addresses it. I think I consider scaling to be much more important than most, as it's the only area I consistently wish GURPS addressed better.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aigol View Post
Also if a sealed armor is penetrated does it lose it's sealed quality? Like if space armor is shot through would it be useless in space?
See Suit Patches, UT188. Penetrated sealed armor loses stored air until patched. If you don't have stored air (say, you're breathing local air, but filtering it through the suit to get rid of contaminants), I'd say you're immediately affected by the local environment until you can get a patch on (and possibly for a bit of time thereafter, thanks to what managed to get through, but that's up to the GM).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
See Suit Patches, UT188. Penetrated sealed armor loses stored air until patched. If you don't have stored air (say, you're breathing local air, but filtering it through the suit to get rid of contaminants), I'd say you're immediately affected by the local environment until you can get a patch on (and possibly for a bit of time thereafter, thanks to what managed to get through, but that's up to the GM).
That depends largely on how long it took get get a patch on, and what concentrations of whatever you're filtering it takes to be dangerous. Duct tape does wonders against things that aren't as dangerous as chlorine gas!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Is that noted somewhere, or an idea of yours? It seems like a good idea. I hope GURPS actually addresses it. I think I consider scaling to be much more important than most, as it's the only area I consistently wish GURPS addressed better.
It's not fully officially noted anywhere that I know of but what I said is based on general observation of how the DR modifiers work backed up by the fact that in Eidetic Memory: Low-Tech Armor Design (Pyramid 3/52) pg. 19 it says under the dagger mark on the Construction Table that's if mail has DR 10 or more it has -20% vs. crushing damage instead of a flat -2.

While the given example is only listed for one type of armor for use against only one type of damage, to me at lest, it seemed to suggest that this was the intention for all armor in general. Also I think we can agree that having armor protect it's self at -1 DR no matter how much or how little DR the armor has is kinda silly.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Also I think we can agree that having armor protect it's self at -1 DR no matter how much or how little DR the armor has is kinda silly.
I'm not so sure. There's armor that's designed to protect its wearer by deforming like modern ballistic armor, which probably protects itself with a fraction of its DR, and there's armor like plate; I'm pretty sure it's possible to kill someone through plate armor with a hammer, and I'm not even sure you'd have to dent the armor to inflict sufficient trauma, so maybe that protects itself with more DR than it provides.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I'm not so sure. There's armor that's designed to protect its wearer by deforming like modern ballistic armor, which probably protects itself with a fraction of its DR, and there's armor like plate; I'm pretty sure it's possible to kill someone through plate armor with a hammer, and I'm not even sure you'd have to dent the armor to inflict sufficient trauma, so maybe that protects itself with more DR than it provides.
Why are you sure that you can transmit a killing hammer-blow through undeformed plate armor?

Tags
armor, ultra-tech