Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Gollum

Default Re: They should really fix that in GURPS Horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Some way to heal damage done by fright checks, a la this post And I don't think the mythos fright checks from cthulhupunk should be included. They were too extreme.
I do agree. I game mastered a lot of GURPS-Cthulhu campaign and I am still game mastering one with the GURPS fright check rules as they are written in the Basic Set (with a huge penalty for Cthulhu monsters, of course). It works very well: taking more and more disadvantages is as terrifying for players than losing more and more sanity points. Perhaps even more.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #12
moldymaltquaffer

There's already a way to heal that damage. Pay the points, and make up a good rationalization.
moldymaltquaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldymaltquaffer View Post
There's already a way to heal that damage. Pay the points, and make up a good rationalization.
I agree. Since what you get are disads, those disads can be bought off with points and a good rationalization.

Heck if you want to model the sanitarium experience of CoC, just have them committed, and use the Time-Usage sheet...the time you spend healed earning points to buy off the newly gained disads.

I think the rules are already there.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I agree about healing psychological damage.
Yes. I forgot to tell. either do I!

I would also like some fast bleeding rules for NPC... In horror campaigns, there sometimes is a lot of blood. The rules as they are written are fine for PCs. It even adds suspense to the game... But when the GM must make one roll every minute for a NPC (or worse, for several NPCs), it is a bit boring for the players... Of course, the GM can always use a house rule... But an official answer could be interesting...

Oh, something else! A rule for loosing consciousness outside of combats. Example: a character has been shot by a killer. He defended his life very well and killed the killer. But he is severely wounded, bleeds and has negative HP. During the fight, the player made one HT roll every turn. No problem with that... But now, the fight is over and he just wants to call for help. Will he succeed to remain conscious? Calling help with a telephone lasts something like 2-3 minutes. That makes 120-180 HT roll!

My temporary house rule: During combats, the player makes a HT roll every turn, because each turn is a single action. Outside of combats, he goes on making a HT roll for every action, but an action doesn't last anymore a turn. So the player in the example above will have to do one HT roll to reach the telephone, one other to dial the call number and a last one to explain what he wants.

This house rule works well and is easy to play but, here again, an official answer would be welcome...

Thank you very much to ask us.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I agree. Since what you get are disads, those disads can be bought off with points and a good rationalization.

Heck if you want to model the sanitarium experience of CoC, just have them committed, and use the Time-Usage sheet...the time you spend healed earning points to buy off the newly gained disads.

I think the rules are already there.
If your hand gets chopped off in play, you don't have to pay points to get it back or replace it with a prosthesis. You just have to obtain the replacement in play. Why shouldn't psychological harm have a parallel option?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #16
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Of course, but since they are very precise rules for healing physical wounds, precise rules to heal mental shock could be useful in a genre where fright checks are as common as wounds.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
rcarter

I think fright checks should be revised for sure. Something more like CoC. Mythos fright checks should stay in some incarnation. Also I agree with the 'there already is a way to heal psychological damage' in that you just pay the points and create a rationalization for it arguement.

Saying that I want a more utilitarian Sanity system.

Plauge zombies for the zombie apocalypse

Undead metatemplates

Cthulhu Mythos SKill or things man was not meant to know skill

More info on slashers

New advantages/disadvantages

Keep & expand the information on adventure/campaign design

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I would also like some fast bleeding rules for NPC... In horror campaigns, there sometimes is a lot of blood. Of course, the GM can always use a house rule... But an official answer could be interesting...
How about the Severe Bleeding rules from Martial Arts pp 138?
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #19
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Fright checks in general need to be cleaned up. For instance, a Will 14 character currently gains no benefit from Resistance to Fear, because of the arbitrary 14 or less cutoff. If fear checks are supposed to be difficult, then let them be.. expand the situations under which they occur and the modifiers that are applied to the roll.
I do agree with this too. Again, it is obvious when making a comparison with damage.

When someone buy ST or HP, there is no cap. When someone buy HT, there is neither cap - "any roll to avoid death or falling unconscious above 14 is a failure" could perfectly be a GURPS rule, with the same kind of arguments)... So, why is there a cap for Will?

In a Cthulhu campaign, with some monsters giving a -20 penalty to fright-check modifiers, or in other horror campaigns where there are so many fright-checks, no cap is required.

Last edited by Gollum; 07-12-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #20
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
How about the Severe Bleeding rules from Martial Arts pp 138?
They still require a lot of HT rolls. It is fine for PC. But less amusing (for the players) when dealing with NPCs.

Tags
gurps horror, horror, playtest, playtesting