Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #231
Polydamas

Default Re: What's with the modesty about stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
There are nothing in the IQ attributes that equals it to knowledge. Read, learned, self-taught or otherwise. As I already mentioned I agree one who does engage in a lot of IQ-based skills probably will get a higher IQ, but the opposite is not true.
In fact, the best definition of Intelligence in GURPS which I can think of is "ability at too many 'mental' skills to bother listing them." If someone does not have a lot of 'mental' skills and become good at new ones quickly I don't think they should have high Intelligence in GURPS.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #232
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
But then you'd be dealing with the tech level penalty that does in fact affect defaults.
That's why I added the fictional example of super-genius being brought up isolated from the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That only holds if Per is also at 20. Can't be relied on as a part of IQ-based skill use.
But per GURPS, it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
In fact, the best definition of Intelligence in GURPS which I can think of is "ability at too many 'mental' skills to bother listing them."
And again, that's just not how GURPS define it. See my quote in blue higher up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
If someone does not have a lot of 'mental' skills and become good at new ones quickly I don't think they should have high Intelligence in GURPS.
Then how would you model that? Because frankly, a high IQ and limited skills are exactly what would get that result IMO. Just put 1 pts in a new skill and *pow* your good at it. Incidentally, this is the reason I don't normally allow high IQ because it's too open to abuse.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #233
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That only holds if Per is also at 20. Can't be relied on as a part of IQ-based skill use.
By default, if you take IQ at 20, both Perception and Will will be 20 too -- you have to specifically buy them up or down to change that.

As far as equating it to knowledge, GURPS has traditionally said that education is one of the things reflected in the Intelligence score. It's part of why an adult has a higher Intelligence score than a child, or why a "professional" character will often have a higher Intelligence than a laborer. And if you think about it, that's one reason for having so many defaults at such a high level -- you remember long-ago classes, things you've read, debates you had in the dorm room ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #234
Jaden

A thought I had while reading this interesting discourse:

What difference would you see in an IQ 20 person vs an IQ 19 person with 20 dabbler perks? (ignoring perk limits)
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #235
kenclary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
What difference would you see in an IQ 20 person vs an IQ 19 person with 20 dabbler perks? (ignoring perk limits)
Eccentricity :)
kenclary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #236
Cuddle_Fish

Well, the obvious answers would be their perception and will scores, and their capability in the skills they did have trained. Also, one will raise a few less eyebrows when the GM sees it on your sheet.
Cuddle_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #237
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
Eccentricity :)
No, eccentricity is based on wealth level. Poor people are crazy, rich people are eccentric.... unless you're one of the heirs and they just... won't.... die!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #238
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
And again, that's just not how GURPS define it. See my quote in blue higher up.
"Ability at too many 'mental' skills to bother listing them all" is its mechanical effect, which is one way that GURPS defines Intelligence. For ability at a very short list of 'mental' skills we have skill points, and for ability at a medium-sized list of 'mental' skills we have Talents. I have trouble thinking of a case where a pure IQ roll is used. I don't see your quote in page 23 or 24 of this thread. Edit: Found it here

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 12-20-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Found quote
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #239
Gollum

Even if I do agree with a lot of things said above, like the fact that a very high IQ score in GURPS inevitably gives too high skill levels in so many different mental skills that it is not anymore realistic, I have to admit that Maz is right on one imortant point.

An IQ 20 cook with only the default level (15) is not as good as a skilled cook with average IQ (IQ 10 and relative skill level of +5).

Of course, it all depends on how we use the two rules: Using Skills With Other Attributes and Using Skills Without Attributes (Basic Set, Characters, page 172).

Most often, in role playing games, we don't really care about that because role playing adventures are full of heroic actions... And cooking is not one! Heroes in movies rarely cook.

But if it was an important part of the adventure, if, for instance, we wanted to play a master chief cooking competition, there would be several rolls for each recipes... And especially a lot of DX base Cooking rolls. Many recipes need a delicate touch. Especially for the appearance of the meal.

So, in such a competition, our IQ 20 guy would have to make a lot of rolls against DX-5! Actually, he would cook very good meals but with such an appearance that it would make the admissions board (and other competitors) laugh.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #240
trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Heroes in movies rarely cook.
Except for Vinnie im Kromm's current campaign. Oh, that isn't a movie, even if it is Cinematic.
trans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attributes, stats