Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
Erling

Default Shock and Will roll to retain aiming bonuses

By the rules Will roll made to go on aiming after you've been injuried isn't affected by Shock penalty.

That is, if someone with HP 11, Will 11 and DR 25 gets hit by a sniper rifle round (let's assume 8d+2 pi, for the average damage of 30) while aiming his pistol and loses 5 hit points, he will retain his aiming bonuses quite often (62,5% probability).

I understand that Aim is vulnerable as it is (you spend one second; no active defenses under penalty of spoiling your aim; if you suffer knockdown or crippling injury, aim is lost anyway), but applying Shock penalty to Will roll seems plausible to my players.

How about that? Is it fair or unbalanced?

P.S. In my cyberpunk-ish setting people often sport ballistic body armor for DR 35 almost everywhere including upper arms. In a recent game someone got hit in a shoulder with a 5dx2 pi+ high-calibre rifle round, suffered 1 point of injury (36 basic damage rolled vs. DR 35), made an unmodified Will roll and kept on aiming, my players said "it's quite implausible".
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
Leynok

Default Re: Shock and Will roll to retain aiming bonuses

If you and your players all think a house rule makes more sense, then put it into play, see how it goes! The worst that will probably happen is one session with bizarre results (I doubt it would in this example, it seems like a pretty simple and reasonable change), and then if that happens you can decide "Yeah, that didn't work out as well I was hoping, we'll go back to the normal rules next time".
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Tomsdad

Default Re: Shock and Will roll to retain aiming bonuses

Anther good reason to use "on target", as the shock penalty would apply to a holding aim roll

(at least I assume it would as it's a skill roll)

But yep simply applying the schock penalty to the will roll seems to be reasonable, since I imagine it's quite hard to keeping aiming while taking damage

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-29-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote