Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
Highland_Piper

Default Dungeon Fantasy Maps

Ok so here is my idea. I'm going to make a series of Horizontal Hex tiles that are 7 inches by 7 inches. The hexes should match up from tile to tile.

Now obviously I don't need your permission to make them, so what am I on about?

Well I wanted to know what you guys want.

Colored backgrounds or white?

Colored backgrounds look real nice but they use up alot of ink!

8x8 inch, 7x7 inch tiles or 6x6 inch tiles?

The 8 and 7 inch tiles use more of the paper so there is less waste but 6 inch tiles are just kind of an Imperial Standard.

Some printers can not print borderless so 8inch is kind of iffy for some people. I'm keeping in mind Europe's A4 and N. American 8.5x11" paper here.

Dynamic Lighting?

Do you want the torches to cast real light and shadows? Or would you prefer a nice clean and bright dungeon? Light and shadows are nice but will use more black ink.

Square Tiles or free form?

Square Tiles are nice as you can slap them down next to each other and they will line up, however if you have just one hallways going down the center there is a bit of wasted space in your dungeon. Square tiles are easier to store as they stack nicely

Free form is nice as you can squeeze more rooms in, however there is no guarantee that everything will line up also more tiles will be needed for free from than the square (in my opinion) although you could make better designs. I find free form difficult to store as they are not as strong as a square tiles

-------------------

I'm sure I will have, or others will have, more questions and preferences. The preliminary designs are looking really nice. I'm using CC3 and Photoshop to make them.

I will post links to some of the pictures soon.

I just finished making 55 tiles for Mage Knight Dungeons that use Dynamic Lighting (to an extent) View Sample 1 Sample 2 Map 1 Map 2 Map 3

After a good run of dungeons I will start to focus on Wilderness and towns but will probably do a combination of tiles and free form for those.

My group wants to play some Hack and Slash non thinking Dungeon Fantasy every now and then so I want to make dungeon parts to go with the endless dungeon I will place them in. I see no reason why I should not share so let me know what you all would like to use and I will make it so.
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Maps

I'd love these, and would vote for full colour, dynamic lighting, and free-form.

However, I wouldn't be printing them off, I'd be using them with Virtual Table Top software, such as MapTools so ink use and fitting to paper aren't a consideration.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

Totally with Bruno here! For the same reasons! Loverly!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

I say colored(because if I want to be cheap, I can just print em in black and white), no real preference on size, dynamic lighting, and free form tiles.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
heruca

Those are nice maps. Will you be making them available at a higher resolution, so we can see more detail?

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Captain-Captain

My printer had them come out fairly dark. Readable but borderline. Perhaps lightening them a tad more/
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Stormcrow

I'll repeat my usual mantra here. I prefer less colorful floorplans for GMs, because I prefer to write notes on them.

However, if these are intended for miniatures, then colorful is better.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Highland_Piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
My printer had them come out fairly dark. Readable but borderline. Perhaps lightening them a tad more/
I wonder if it is a size issue. The full size maps are 30" x 19". I had planned to have those professionally printed but I finally got more ink yesterday and I will start to play around with them today.

Well I decided on the free form. Those using Map tool or other online software I can save them as a png for you. That way you can choose your own rock or dirt background. Those that plan (like me) to print them out they will be available in pdf and I will try to squeeze as many on a page as possible.

I will be printing them out and testing them on my EPSON STYLUS D78 inkjet printer. I will add a page on my website about cutting them out and mounting them.

Currently I have the MKD maps as 100 dpi but I will do the GURPS maps at 200 dpi. Anything more than 200 dpi is useless unless you have a laser printer or a really really good inkjet.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
demonsbane

Great tiles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heruca
Those are nice maps. Will you be making them available at a higher resolution, so we can see more detail?
Seconded. And maybe with that higher resolution, some of us can use them with some VT for roleplaying online ;^D

EDIT: In some of your maps, we can see a square grid or traces of it. How is that?

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 10-12-2008 at 09:49 PM.
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
Highland_Piper

Well the maps I show are for Mage Knight Dungeons and that game uses 1.5" grid. I have not uploaded any of my Gurps Fantasy Dungeon Maps yet.

To Captain-Captain

I did finally print one of the full size maps out and it was really dark compared to my screen image. Increased Brightness and contrast by 15 and they come out fine. I will be sure to do that for the GURPS Dungeons as well.