Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
Jareth Valar

Default Quasi-real Tained By a Master

Question: Taking the access to Chi/Cinematic Skills away from TBaM and still requiring Special Training for most things TBaM allows. Would this be a viable advantage for a semi-realistic game (between realistic an cinematic/not quite action movie)? If so, what would it cost 15, 20, 10?

Thanks
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Quasi-real Tained By a Master

I lack the martial arts knowledge to judge whether such a trait would be realistic or not. However, for price, I can say that I wouldn't limit it much at all, compared to regular Trained by a Master. GURPS in general doesn't put much weight on "serves as a prerequisite" - since you have to pay points for the things it gives access to anyway, it's not that valuable on the base trait. And the other benefits of Trained By a Master (improved parries and Rapid Strikes, and various other halved penalties for cinematic techniques and various stunts) are all still worth a lot. I'd peg "Doesn't serve as a prerequisite for cinematic skills" as a -20% limitation on Trained By A Master.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth Valar View Post
Question: Taking the access to Chi/Cinematic Skills away from TBaM and still requiring Special Training for most things TBaM allows. Would this be a viable advantage for a semi-realistic game (between realistic an cinematic/not quite action movie)? If so, what would it cost 15, 20, 10?

Thanks
Inability to use the Cinematic Skills covered by TBAM is the Mundane Background Disad and worth -10.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Inability to use the Cinematic Skills covered by TBAM is the Mundane Background Disad and worth -10.
Because of that, I'd price a "No Access to Cinematic Skills" Accessibility limitation at -10%.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Actually, I think that Trained By a Master without the ability to learn Cinematic Skills or Perks should be -30%.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I lack the martial arts knowledge to judge whether such a trait would be realistic or not. However, for price, I can say that I wouldn't limit it much at all, compared to regular Trained by a Master. GURPS in general doesn't put much weight on "serves as a prerequisite" - since you have to pay points for the things it gives access to anyway, it's not that valuable on the base trait. And the other benefits of Trained By a Master (improved parries and Rapid Strikes, and various other halved penalties for cinematic techniques and various stunts) are all still worth a lot. I'd peg "Doesn't serve as a prerequisite for cinematic skills" as a -20% limitation on Trained By A Master.
What about the reverse? How much should an advantage cost that only gives access to chi/cinematic skills, perks and techniques, but doesn't halve penalties for rapid strikes and multiple parries?
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Because of that, I'd price a "No Access to Cinematic Skills" Accessibility limitation at -10%.
Only a stupid person would buy it at that price. He could just take TBAM at 30 pts and Mundane Background at -10 and use pricing of items in the Basic Set.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
Gnome

Quote:
Only a stupid person would buy it at that price. He could just take TBAM at 30 pts and Mundane Background at -10 and use pricing of items in the Basic Set.
In my experience, most PCs take the maximum number of disadvantages, so this would be a reshuffling of points but not a savings.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
No he can't. Or rather, he can, but it renders TBaM completely ineffective; mundane background means that your non-mundane advantages cannot be used. "You can have supernatural advantages, but you can neither use them nor learn any skills that would allow you to use them".

Last edited by Anthony; 03-07-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
No he can't. Or rather, he can, but it renders TBaM completely ineffective; mundane background means that your non-mundane advantages cannot be used. "You can have supernatural advantages, but you can neither use them nor learn any skills that would allow you to use them".
Supernatural advantages are denoted by the "lightning bolt" icon. Trained By A Master shows only the icon for "Mental".

Tags
martial arts