Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
Brazen Hussey

Default Ties for Initiative

This has to have been answered already, but a quick search failed to reveal.

When there is a tie for initiative, do you just re-roll? Or does anything else break the tie?

I'm learning the system with a bunch of one-on-one combats right now and so breaking the tie with adjDX would be easy. But that doesn't work so well for larger combats.

Anyway, thank you for letting me ask the noobiest of noob questions noob there.
Brazen Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:20 AM   #2
JimmyPlenty

Default Re: Ties for Initiative

Off the top of my head, if you are doing large battles, just use the adjDX and have ties cancel each other out until there are no more ties.

If somehow, on God's green earth, you are still tied, re-roll until the dice crack.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:41 AM   #3
Brazen Hussey

Yep, that works. But it's a bit tedious. I'd really like to know if there's an official rule, or just different ways players have solved for it. Thanks much for the response though.
Brazen Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Skarg

No, the official rule is to re-roll ties.

The unofficial trick for making that fast is to roll a bunch of dice. For example, each side rolls three dice at once for initiative, and you use them left-to-right, or in pre-agreed order by color, or using a dice-roller program that lists them in order.

example:

Player A rolls 3, 4, 1
Player B rolls 3, 4, 4

So they tied the first two rolls but B won the third, and since they rolled 3 dice at once, it only takes one roll to determine that. The chance of tying 3 rolls in a row is 1 in 216, so it will hardly ever happen.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
JimmyPlenty

You could flip a coin on the tie, then give the losing player the next tie automatically and just rotate from there.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #6
Steve Plambeck

The new rule in Legacy ITL now has ties in adjDX resolved by giving the win to the side that won initiative. Not sure if I love or hate that, but it will save time and wear on the dice. It does make initiative more important, especially in larger battles, because it could have a ripple effect on several of the subsequent turns to act in the same turn. That's the part I'm not sure I like.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
You could flip a coin on the tie, then give the losing player the next tie automatically and just rotate from there.
You could, but this will be a change to the odds in situations where one side has an advantage giving them a modifier to their initiative roll (e.g. Tactics or Strategist talents).

In situations where there are only two sides and neither side has an advantage and so the odds are 50/50, you could just roll one die to start with. 1-3 player A wins, 4-6 player B wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
The new rule in Legacy ITL now has ties in adjDX resolved by giving the win to the side that won initiative. Not sure if I love or hate that, but it will save time and wear on the dice. It does make initiative more important, especially in larger battles, because it could have a ripple effect on several of the subsequent turns to act in the same turn. That's the part I'm not sure I like.
I'm sure I hate it, because it reduces uncertainty, I like rolling off when adjDX is equal, and most importantly, it produces a combat effect that can be fairly large, or nothing, depending on something unrelated (i.e. how many figures have identical adjDX).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote