Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
ErhnamDJ

Default Enhanced Move, Slams, and Explosions

I have a speedster character with Enhanced Move 18, on top of a Move of 24, which puts her top speed at somewhere around 12,868,887 miles per hour.

Now, what I am wondering is: when she slams into something at that speed, does it produce an explosion?

Or would I need to purchase the ability to make an explosion separately? If so, how would I do that? Modify the slam damage as per the Modying ST-Based Damage rules in Powers?

Also, if I do need to purchase an explosion separately, what happens to my character if she doesn't purchase the explosion? If she slams into a wall, what happens to the wall?

What I had assumed should be done is figuring up the energy of the impact, and then make it an explosion of an equivalent amount of TNT, but I'm not sure.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Mateus

Default Re: Enhanced Move, Slams, and Explosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I have a speedster character with Enhanced Move 18, on top of a Move of 24, which puts her top speed at somewhere around 12,868,887 miles per hour.

Now, what I am wondering is: when she slams into something at that speed, does it produce an explosion?

Or would I need to purchase the ability to make an explosion separately? If so, how would I do that? Modify the slam damage as per the Modying ST-Based Damage rules in Powers?

Also, if I do need to purchase an explosion separately, what happens to my character if she doesn't purchase the explosion? If she slams into a wall, what happens to the wall?

What I had assumed should be done is figuring up the energy of the impact, and then make it an explosion of an equivalent amount of TNT, but I'm not sure.
I think that another good question is what happens with the CHARACTER when he hits a wall in THAT velocity =).
Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
I think that another good question is what happens with the CHARACTER when he hits a wall in THAT velocity =).
Well, she has Duplication with Construct. So... not much. :)

Maybe they try to put her in prison. But she's probably too fast for them.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Refplace

GM Call.
Some GMs will apply more realistic physics to a game and you tend to get bonus and penalty abilities in different circumstances.
Others use more rubber science and would ignore details you hadn't paid for (but your not encumbered by the nasty side effects either).

As for the damage a lot of that also has to do with mass.
Just the speed is not enough to really judge the question but I would ssay normal slam damage and if you do enough you may do KNB to it. destroy what you hit and there may be fragments.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
cccwebs

Quote:

She becomes pizza toppings, unless she can withstand the insane amount of damage* that would result from slamming into something with a Move of 6,291,456. As far as an explosion, no there's no explosion per RAW.

* even with just 10 HP that's 629,146 dice damage, or an average of 2,202,011 damage! I hope the character has the 11,010,055 cp for DR, or at least has Unkillable 2 or 3 and some decent Regeneration to come back.

edit - I was posting when the Duplication (Construct) was mentioned

Last edited by cccwebs; 06-04-2012 at 08:47 AM.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
As far as an explosion, no there's no explosion per RAW.
Well, that might be the case, but would a 747 or a space shuttle statted up in GURPS have some explosion crashing ability? Or would that be part of the slam rules that's just missing? Can I expect this to be addressed in Vehicles?

What I mean is: is this an issue with the slam rules, or is it an issue with the character creation rules?

If we were trying to describe this in physical terms, where is all that energy going?

Quote:
* even with just 10 HP that's 629,146 dice damage, or an average of 2,202,011 damage! I hope the character has the 11,010,055 cp for DR, or at least has Unkillable 2 or 3 and some decent Regeneration to come back.
Oh, it's even more damage than that. She has ATR 1, so in theory she could be moving twice as fast, I guess. She also gets +2 damage per die from her Sumo Wrestling.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Well, that might be the case, but would a 747 or a space shuttle statted up in GURPS have some explosion crashing ability? Or would that be part of the slam rules that's just missing? Can I expect this to be addressed in Vehicles?

What I mean is: is this an issue with the slam rules, or is it an issue with the character creation rules?
I would not really call it a problem with the rules as such.
Its more like an addendum to massive attacks that utterly destroy an object and should apply to other things like Innate Attacks as well.
I actually think there is a rule there for figuring out the explosion area of something like a meteorite hitting.
Dont recall where I saw it at the moment though.

Quote:
Oh, it's even more damage than that. She has ATR 1, so in theory she could be moving twice as fast, I guess. She also gets +2 damage per die from her Sumo Wrestling.
ATR as written wont get you more damage.
Your KE and momentum is the same you just get tow turns to make those moves.
And that +2 per die thing is something I hate about a lot of those skills and abilities.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
cccwebs

Quote:
Any explosion resulting from a crash of a vehicle is not because of the impact, but from the explosive materials that are contained within the vehicle.

As for something missing in the slam rules, I don't think the slam rules were designed for something that is travelling 16,756 times the speed of sound (or .019c).
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would not really call it a problem with the rules as such.
Its more like an addendum to massive attacks that utterly destroy an object and should apply to other things like Innate Attacks as well.
I actually think there is a rule there for figuring out the explosion area of something like a meteorite hitting.
Dont recall where I saw it at the moment though.
I would really love to see some meteor impact rules, if there are any.

Quote:
ATR as written wont get you more damage.
Your KE and momentum is the same you just get tow turns to make those moves.
Well, under the slam rules, it says velocity is the number of yards you moved that turn. I figured she had moved a lot more that turn if she has circled the earth X times 2 times rather than X times. But it doesn't really make sense, you're right. I wouldn't push for that. Not with this character.

But if I was playing a regular human, with move 5, I would insist that they deal more damage after moving the 10 yards while under the effect of a Great Haste.

And I'm not really sure what reasoning there is for why it's different with my speedster here. It feels wrong, but I don't know much about physics.

Quote:
And that +2 per die thing is something I hate about a lot of those skills and abilities.
Oh, I'm sure she would do an AoA (Strong) for an additional +1 per die. :)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
Any explosion resulting from a crash of a vehicle is not because of the impact, but from the explosive materials that are contained within the vehicle.
Is that always true? What's the fastest thing humans have ever put into space? Does that not explode if it hits something?

Quote:
As for something missing in the slam rules, I don't think the slam rules were designed for something that is travelling 16,756 times the speed of sound (or .019c).
Well, if the slams rules aren't what we use for crashing spaceships (which we are also potentially dealing with in this same campaign) or meteors, then how do we figure that stuff out?

Tags
enhanced move, slam, slams