Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #151
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Altering the Initiative Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
He also said that you can choose to use less than your full abilities, including choosing to operate at a lower Basic Speed.
I read that as the fluff explanation for why you don't need to be as specific with Waits for this purpose as you do with "screw you!" Waits; not that it obviates Wait altogether.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-19-2011 at 11:40 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #152
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
He also said that you can choose to use less than your full abilities, including choosing to operate at a lower Basic Speed.
Do you have a quote of this? Because that's a pretty useful thing if so.

We're throwing around a lot of "Kromm said" here. Just saying.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #153
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Do you have a quote of this? Because that's a pretty useful thing if so.

We're throwing around a lot of "Kromm said" here. Just saying.
They are talking about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Sure you can.

Yes, but you are allowed to name broad triggers and broad reactions as long as they aren't vague (not the same as broad) and provided that your maneuver is declared. A perfectly legal Wait would be "I wait until after my pal Jim-Bob acts, and then take an Attack maneuver against whomever Jim-Bob attacked, or my nearest foe otherwise." Complex? Sure, but it's legal. The trigger and action are specified, and most important, the maneuver is declared.

That said, you certainly can elect to use less than your full resources. You're allowed to strike at lower ST, move at less than full Move, etc. There's no reason at all why you couldn't choose to operate at lower Basic Speed. Parents do this all the time when shepherding their kids!
The last paragraph doesn't seem to obviate the need for Wait maneuvers at all, especially since the entire first part is talking about why you need to use Wait to do this. Unless I'm missing something.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #154
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The last paragraph doesn't seem to obviate the need for Wait maneuvers at all, especially since the entire first part is talking about why you need to use Wait to do this. Unless I'm missing something.
No it doesn't eliminated the need for wait, for starts it only works in the first round in that it lets you chose when you start in the order. at slower point than you were capable of.

Second, it is great for coordinating with a team member but it does not have any of wait's interrupt ability.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #155
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
That said, you certainly can elect to use less than your full resources. You're allowed to strike at lower ST, move at less than full Move, etc. There's no reason at all why you couldn't choose to operate at lower Basic Speed. Parents do this all the time when shepherding their kids!
My interpretation of what he's saying is that at the beginning of combat you can use a lower Basic Speed to set your place in the order for the entire combat.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #156
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No it doesn't eliminated the need for wait, for starts it only works in the first round in that it lets you chose when you start in the order. at slower point than you were capable of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
My interpretation what he's saying is that at the beginning of combat you can use a lower Basic Speed to set your place in the order for the entire combat.
Where are you getting that? Later he says you don't actually alter the sequence. AFAICT you can lower your Basic Speed for other reasons (like lowering your dodge or your Move) but not to change sequence. You can however take a Wait with much more relaxed triggering conditions ("After this person").
Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #157
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Where are you getting that?
"Looks like we might be going into combat. I'm using a Basic Speed of 5 until after a combat should start, then I'll return to my normal 7."

If you can choose to use lower than your normal Speed, then you should be able to say something like that.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #158
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
"Looks like we might be going into combat. I'm using a Basic Speed of 5 until after a combat should start, then I'll return to my normal 7."

If you can choose to use lower than your normal Speed, then you should be able to say something like that.
Where does Kromm say that? Why wouldn't you be able to switch during combat then?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #159
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:

except for the "then" part due to how turns work. to speed back up then you died really slow dow in the first place but waited.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #160
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Where does Kromm say that?
If you can lower your Speed to chase children, or whatever, then why not always use a lower Speed outside of combat, so you can go after Jim-Bob? I don't see the difference.

Quote:
Why wouldn't you be able to switch during combat then?
Is the combat order not set once combat has started?

If someone casts a spell on me during combat that raises my Speed, will that change my place in the order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
except for the "then" part due to how turns work. to speed back up then you died really slow dow in the first place but waited.
I don't know what you mean. When I said that you would then raise it again in combat, I meant for the purpose of Dodge (which is based on Basic Speed), not to alter the combat order.

Tags
kromm answer, kromm explanation, wait