Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 02-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #1
DaltonS

Default [Query] GT Fuel Transfer in External Cradles

Can ships connected by an external cradle transfer fuel to each other? If not, does this require special equipment or does one have to be in the other's hangar or vehicle bay?
Dalton “fueling my imagination with GT ship designs” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Query] GT Fuel Transfer in External Cradles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
Can ships connected by an external cradle transfer fuel to each other? If not, does this require special equipment or does one have to be in the other's hangar or vehicle bay?
Dalton “fueling my imagination with GT ship designs” Spence
It's physically possible of course but it probably requires some not standard but not really "special" equipment. To be specific a fuel hose.

It won't be standard across the 3i becuase the usual "fuel" is for Jump and external cradles (when used for ships) are normally for Battle Riders and other things that use Tenders (but don't Jump).

Come to think of it there is a modular freighter that uses External Cradles for Fuel Pods. Those will come with the right plumbing of course.

X-boats would be another exception.

If you're building a ship that will use External Cradles for something with fuel then include the required hoses and place the hoses in the "waste space" of the module and figure the cost as included in the rounding for the module.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
DaltonS

Default Re: [Query] GT Fuel Transfer in External Cradles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's physically possible of course but it probably requires some not standard but not really "special" equipment. To be specific a fuel hose.

It won't be standard across the 3i becuase the usual "fuel" is for Jump and external cradles (when used for ships) are normally for Battle Riders and other things that use Tenders (but don't Jump).

Come to think of it there is a modular freighter that uses External Cradles for Fuel Pods. Those will come with the right plumbing of course.

X-boats would be another exception.

If you're building a ship that will use External Cradles for something with fuel then include the required hoses and place the hoses in the "waste space" of the module and figure the cost as included in the rounding for the module.
I'm currently designing my own Deep Space Station from scratch that can be placed in an empty hex to be used in a Jump Bridge across a rift. While the official design uses 38 100-dton hangars I've noticed that most J-2 capable ships are 200-dtons or larger so using external cradles for those ships that want to refuel and move on makes sense to me. Could a variant "passage tube" be used for this? (I have designed a 5,000-dton J-2 Jump Tanker/Freighter to replenish the station's fuel reserves that would rather park outside if possible.)
Dalton “still using Thom Bont's GTS program because it works” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships, traveller