Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
scc

Default What sort of Margey do Cabalists have?

OK, Cabalist can travel from worldline to worldline yet still perform magic, despite the fact that different worldlines use different magic systems that require differant versions of Magery.

For instance:
Yrth and Merlin both use the standard system
Roma Arcana uses a slightly customized version of the Ritual Magic system
One of the sample characters uses the default Ritual Magic system
Alchemical Baroque uses a tweaked version of the Path/Book system

All of these examples require their own version of Magery, and only the magic system featured in them works, so how do Cabalists manage to perform magic on so many different worldlines?
scc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
Dwarf99

Default Re: What sort of Margey do Cabalists have?

If I had to guess, by having multiple types of Magery. As I understand it, one doesn't conflict with another.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Cabalists prefer to use whatever magic the locals don't know, or believe in, for power, knowledge, and secrecy.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 AM   #4
David Johnston2

Since the Cabal originated in Horror I'd probably update them to RPM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
scc

@Flyndaran, from what I can puzzle out if the locals know about magic and can work it the system or systems they use are the only ones that work, so using one the locals don't know when there's a magic system in place doesn't work

@David, ouch, that's going to hurt, what (if any) IW worlds use RPM?
scc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
@Flyndaran, from what I can puzzle out if the locals know about magic and can work it the system or systems they use are the only ones that work, so using one the locals don't know when there's a magic system in place doesn't work

The Cabal knows secrets, things locals don't know. Just because one type is well known, doesn't mean there aren't others unknown. Not to mention unique techniques kept secret.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
All of these examples require their own version of Magery, and only the magic system featured in them works, so how do Cabalists manage to perform magic on so many different worldlines?
The way I'm handling this in Infinite Cabal is that on most worlds where magic works at all, all the systems work. Cabalists mostly use the default system, but there are some that use others. No, I don't stick strictly to SJG IW canon, because there are too many things in it that cause problems.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:

Actually the Cabal downright specializes in settings where there is little to no local knowledge of magic that actually works for the same reason Homeworld and Centrum largely stay away from higher than TL 8 settings. They don't want to go anywhere they might be at a disadvantage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Actually the Cabal downright specializes in settings where there is little to no local knowledge of magic that actually works for the same reason Homeworld and Centrum largely stay away from higher than TL 8 settings. They don't want to go anywhere they might be at a disadvantage.
But like Centrum and ISWAT, they might occasionally pick up a mage from those settings. Officially off limits doesn't mean the odd middle circle mage wouldn't look for an interesting pupil there.

The harder it is to study, the more some Cabalists might want to learn about it.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
OK,
only the magic system featured in them works, so how do Cabalists manage to perform magic on so many different worldlines?
You don't know if the first part is true. The answer to the second part is that for almost all of the worlds listed in IW with a mana level use default Magic.

There's one listed deviation from that I think unless you count the Azoth series and those any not use any sort of Magery-based magic.