Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
ad87

Default Custom combat maps

I've been admiring the handywork of Gabe from Penny Arcade with his custom D&D map (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/08/03/ and scroll down). I mean, one of the things that makes it so great is the concept but it reminded me of the old maps our group would throw together when we first started playing GURPS for duels or Quels as it ended up.

A few years later and now versed in a number of systems its something I would love to try again but I think to interest some of the players now would require more sophisticated maps and rules.

Has anyone created any combat maps they were particularly proud of or seen any online?
ad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Shrale

Default Re: Custom combat maps

I thought these were pretty nice for MS Paint. Kinda nice not to have
to chunk down some $$ and have something that doesn't take years
to learn (CAD)...

http://www.swagonline.net/user/444/gallery

>
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

If you search the forums for the words "Fletcher series," you'll find links to some maps I did with Campaign Cartographer, based on a number of historical locations, with hex grids appropriate for use with GURPS.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
heruca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad87 View Post
Has anyone created any combat maps they were particularly proud of or seen any online?
I created an arena map for GURPS. You can see it here. Unfortunately, this was intended for use in my virtual tabletop program, so it doesn't have the hexgrid on it (you'd have to add your own hexgrid overlay).

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Nemi3e

Does making my own transparency hex grid overlay count?

I did find this big parchment colored soft plastic map at the complete strategist, one squares, one side hexes. And you can draw on it in marker and it wipes off with a bit of water. It's great. Custom maps for everything~
Nemi3e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
ad87

This stuff is great. Has anyone created any maps physically in 3 dimensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemi3e View Post
Does making my own transparency hex grid overlay count?

I did find this big parchment colored soft plastic map at the complete strategist, one squares, one side hexes. And you can draw on it in marker and it wipes off with a bit of water. It's great. Custom maps for everything~
Yeah we have one of these, the one we have needs a heafty cleaner to wipe the lines off if they're on for any length of time (even that of a single battle at times) and there are still marks from when we didn't wipe it at the end of one session. That said, it is very useful
ad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
Sydney

Quote:
You mean other than the Dwarven Forge modular stuff?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Nemi3e

Quote:
I did see some sort of flexable cardboard castle thing at the CS. You could put it together in a bunch of ways apparently. But it was like another 20 bucks and I had already bought a ton in their 3e closeout sale (another reason why I'm still playing 3e) so I opted against it. Plus, it had square grid.

That being said, I think I could make a 3D map fairly easily if I had the materials. I already have what I need for one kind.

I have my homemade hex transparencies, so all I need is some small boxes the right size and voila I slap it on, and make inch marks on the side as well.

For something like Gabe did? my transparencies can't support that kind of weight and getting a hex grid on the plastic would be a hell of a job.

That being said, the solution is simple: A honeycomb base with a slot for dowels and/or some form of stacking cups.

I trust the stacking cups are obvious, but the dowels would probably be better, though a bit more work.

First the dowel, needs to be sturdy. Then you drill holes into it at inch intervals. Then you get a thiner dowel that will easily fit into the holes you made and you cut it up, size depending on how big your first dowel was.

Then you rig up a little platform attached to your new pegs, with at least two pegs to a platform so it won't spin.

Lastly a base so the whole thing won't fall over.

Far beyond my meager abilities though. That's why I play, I have imagination.

Quote:
Yeah we have one of these, the one we have needs a heafty cleaner to wipe the lines off if they're on for any length of time (even that of a single battle at times) and there are still marks from when we didn't wipe it at the end of one session. That said, it is very useful
I use dry erase markers. =P

And if it gets marked, I just buy some plastic like Gabe did and just use the hexes as a BG.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #9
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
We have an architect and a draftsman in our player group. They use Revit, an professional CAD program for making up rendered virtual 3D models of inns, a Vault etc. The results are impressive.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Nemi3e

ARGH, Ad87, you were so right. Dry erase marker doesn't even come off! I'm so ****** off about it, it's ruined.

I'm going to tell the place I bought it from.

Tags
combat_maps, penny_arcade