Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #71
SimonAce

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
That may depend where in the world you are.

Once upon a time, SJGames required that contracts be notarised, so I had to go see a local notary whenever I got a new GURPS project. One of them told me that becoming a notary in the UK required a certain fairly stringent set of qualifications and proven competences - it may even have included knowledge of foreign languages, or that may just have been a practical necessity for a notary in port, I forget - and the status lasted indefinitely, whereas American notaries more or less just bought their certificates, which had a fixed time limit. (There may have been a bit of cross-cultural snobbery in there, of course.) The notaries I dealt with were also working solicitors, and I got the impression that the notary thing was a modestly profitable sideline for them - a bit of a hassle to acquire, but a source of extra income thereafter. I doubt that their Law skills were especially higher than those of other solicitors, but the notary thing had required some effort to acquire. A perk might well be appropriate.

Then SJGames noticed what all these UK notaries kept telling me - that them notarising those contracts wouldn't make a blind bit of difference in a US court - and I stopped having to deal with notaries.
Cool. Thanks for the story In the US (in states I am familiar with) it requires a background check, some character references, and a test -- but you need not be a lawyer or have any law training or skill AFAIK.

I've often thought that experience with some kinds of menial jobs ought to be a perk -- after you get 200 hours in (say 100 8 hour) days you'd get a point just enough to operate at STAT -- its just that it would not be a skill or able to go higher.

You might have 1pt in say Warehouse Experience, Cashier or CSR or whatever -- things below the threshold of a professional skill but still requiring some training. may people might even have three or 4 of these -- FAM/Clerk, FAM/CSR that sort of thing

In that case it certainly would make sense to notary to be a perk.

Also in my fantasy campaign it certainly would be a perk and might even have social status or reputation as well.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #72
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce
...In that case it certainly would make sense to notary to be a perk.

Also in my fantasy campaign it certainly would be a perk and might even have social status or reputation as well.
In days gone by, only people with Status 1+ would be able to get it. (Although few over status 2 would bother.)
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #73
Pip Boy

One Good Eye.
You have acurate vision in only ONE of your eyes.
You get +2 acc after a Aim manouver.

Knows Morse Code
I'd say that it's specifically easier than ASL -- american sign language -- so, worth less points.

Recognize <weapon class here>
Can roll against appropriate Gun Skill defaulting on IQ to recognize a gun from it's firing or reloading noise. I.E a PC with Guns (Pistol) at DX+2 rolls at IQ+2.

Armwrestling Champion

+2 Arm ST on a armwrestling contest ONLY.

Bare Knuckle boxer

+1 damage with any punch.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #74
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23
In days gone by, only people with Status 1+ would be able to get it. (Although few over status 2 would bother.)
Last time I needed something notarized, I went to Kinko's, and one of the clerks had a notary license. So, no Status is involved now. In the old days, it was about trustworthyness because you had something to lose, like Status or reputation.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #75
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Boy
One Good Eye.
You have acurate vision in only ONE of your eyes.
You get +2 acc after a Aim manouver.
That seems too generous for a quirk - +2 after aiming is a big bonus for 1 point.

Quote:
Recognize <weapon class here>
Can roll against appropriate Gun Skill defaulting on IQ to recognize a gun from it's firing or reloading noise. I.E a PC with Guns (Pistol) at DX+2 rolls at IQ+2.

I'd say this is already incorporated into Guns skill, i.e. recognizing a firearm is a Perception based Guns roll, modified for familiarity.

Quote:
Bare Knuckle boxer
Quote:
+1 damage with any punch.
This is (in my opinion) overpowered for a Perk. +1 Striking ST (Punching Only) would cost 2 points, and this is equivalent to at least +1 Striking ST. I could see a "Board Smasher" Perk allowing +1 Damage for breaking boards and other stunts outside combat.

Quote:
Knows Morse Code
I'd say that it's specifically easier than ASL -- american sign language -- so, worth less points.

Armwrestling Champion[/B]
+2 Arm ST on a armwrestling contest ONLY.
[B]
The first seems reasonable. I also like the suggestion of replacing some professional skills with Familiarity Perks. The second is a bit silly and arguably could be represented by Games or Hobby (Strength Feat), but looks reasonable point wise - a big bonus for a trivial act.

- DW
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #76
Figleaf23
Banned

Liked by [dogs, cats, horses, etc.]: character gets a +1 (maybe 2) reaction bonus from animals of a specific type.

Rubber-faced: the character has a very expressive face that she can use effectively. Player and GM should agree to a few situational +1's to social and/or performing skills.

Jokes: the character has committed a repertoire of jokes to memory. He may or may not be any good at telling them, depending on other attributes.

Award: the character was the recipient of a recognized honor or award at some point in the past. May grant occassional reaction +1 bonus if the character mentions it (and is believed). (Sort of like a 'Never recognized' reputation). Specific honors depend on the campaign world. For RW Earth depending on the scale and scope of the characters' milieu, examples might be: graduating summa cum laude, an olympic medal, a Nebula award, a Purple Heart ... etc. A Grammy award, however, would be a [0] point feature.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #77
Pip Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific
That seems too generous for a quirk - +2 after aiming is a big bonus for 1 point.
It's Telescopic Vison [-5], at -80%.

Quote:
I'd say this is already incorporated into Guns skill, i.e. recognizing a firearm is a Perception based Guns roll, modified for familiarity.
Yes, but making it a perk rules out the familiarity modifier.

Quote:
This is (in my opinion) overpowered for a Perk. +1 Striking ST (Punching Only) would cost 2 points, and this is equivalent to at least +1 Striking ST. I could see a "Board Smasher" Perk allowing +1 Damage for breaking boards and other stunts outside combat.
Sorry, I meant "Boxing Punch" only. Making it usable only with Boxing skill would bring to -80%, IMO.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #78
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
With apologies to malloyd, I thoroughly disagree that perpetually clean clothing is in any way a problem ability
Thinking about it a little more, I believe it, and a bunch of other similar ones are actually all the same perk, based on the way these things work in film where the makeup department fixes stuff between takes. So:

Look Good. Any time you want, you begin a scene with your appearance at its best, regardless of the situation. Your hair is in place, your teeth are white, your makeup is perfect, your boots are polished, your clothing is clean and untorn (or perhaps has ripped to display attractive locations nicely), and your choice of colors and accessories work nicely with the surroundings. Any time there is a break in the action, or you can arrange a moment of privacy, you may activate this perk and clean yourself up, even if you have no logical way to make such repairs.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #79
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
It's Telescopic Vison [-5], at -80%.
That would require two levels of Telescopic Vision (and two seconds of aiming). It isn't restrictive enough to be a -80% limiter, IMO.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #80
Pip Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
That would require two levels of Telescopic Vision (and two seconds of aiming). It isn't restrictive enough to be a -80% limiter, IMO.
You guys are right. I misread Telescopic Vision while tinkering with this. So, how about now:

One Good Eye.
You have accurate vision in only ONE of your eyes.
You get +1 Acc after a Aim manouver. While aiming, you get Temporary Disadvantage (Tunnel Vision), due your "one-eyed stance".

Some Fallout or Fallout-inspired perks:
Bone Head
You've been dropped a lot by your mom as a baby. You can't buy IQ above 12, but you get +1 DR vs. Skull.

Better Bracing
You can brace a weapon from one weapon class of your choosing, as they were pistols -- i.e. with only your both hands. You don't need to gone prone, use a bipod, or use sandbags, low walls, etc.

Crazy Eye
Opponents attacking from the front suffer a additional -1 to hit you against face, head or skull locations because, seriously, that eye is freaking me out! (Your character can't buy better than average appearence)

European Accent
You get +1 sex appeal on seduction rolls against non-european members of the opposite sex.

Heave Ho!
This perk gives you an additional +2 to ST for purposes of determining range with thrown weapons only.

Road Warrior
You have learned to drive and shoot at the same time. You get +4 bonus when firing one weapon class of your choice and piloting a vehicle at the same time.

Tags
house rules, perks