Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 07-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Astromancer

Default An Article on brain Mapping

What it says, an article on Brain Mapping. This kind of reasearch is the basis for a lot of the THS setting. Do we seem to be on track?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
gjc8

Default Re: An Article on brain Mapping

Hard to say. The big neuroscience milestones in the THS timeline are still a ways out (unless you count AI, but early AI work, at least, is likely independent from brain mapping technology).

We seem to be behind on general biotech, though, which might prove problematic for keeping on track. We missed the 2010 deadline for human cloning (perhaps as much for ethical reasons as technical, but more conservative bioethics could certainly prevent many THS developments). The timeline says that a human clone is born in 2010, so even with the embryonic stem cell breakthrough in May, we're still behind schedule. And I'd be happy to be wrong on this, but I don't thing we're going to get the "cheap broad-spectrum AIDS vaccine" in 2016, either.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

THS while only superscience in a couple of aspects is so gonzo optimistic as to effectively be impossible.

Like how mapping the human genome didn't lead immediately to vast arrays of wonders, simply mapping the human brain won't either. I doubt it's any less complicated than our genome.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
We seem to be behind on general biotech, though, which might prove problematic for keeping on track. We missed the 2010 deadline for human cloning (perhaps as much for ethical reasons as technical, but more conservative bioethics could certainly prevent many THS developments). The timeline says that a human clone is born in 2010, so even with the embryonic stem cell breakthrough in May, we're still behind schedule.
I'll definitely agree with your general conclusions, but on that specific topic, I think we still have a tiny get-out. Anyone want to bet on the chances of the first human clone being a very secret private commission project?
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I'll definitely agree with your general conclusions, but on that specific topic, I think we still have a tiny get-out. Anyone want to bet on the chances of the first human clone being a very secret private commission project?
It could be possible. But I'm certain that we'd see the cloning of monkeys and apes well before we see the cloning of humans.

Ancora Imparo
Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
It could be possible. But I'm certain that we'd see the cloning of monkeys and apes well before we see the cloning of humans.
Every species is different from what I've heard, so monkey cloning knowledge isn't that applicable.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Every species is different from what I've heard, so monkey cloning knowledge isn't that applicable.
Primates seem to have a series of problems in common, and the higher primates have even more issues. It seems unlikely to me that the first primate clone would be a human for the very reason you mentioned in your responce to Phil Masters.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 09-30-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
There's still no getting around the Mengele level horror that there would have to be hundreds if not thousands of deformed short lived "mistakes" before the process is perfected.