Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Generic Question Thread, Part Deux

Previous thread can be seen here. For some reason, my other thread was locked, so i'm creating this one.

In order to prevent mass bumping of topics off the board, i've decided to compile a list of a few odds and ends questions (some may be posted within minutes to hours of eachother, some, days) that mostly pertain to a campaign i'm running.

Since this question wasn't answered the last time around, I think i'll kick this thread off with it: can a high quality Romanian PSL be considered equivalent to a Dragunov SVD?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: Generic Question Thread, Part Deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Previous thread can be seen here. For some reason, my other thread was locked, so i'm creating this one.
The reason it was closed is that it really isn't a good idea to try to put any question you have in a single thread. After the first 2-3 pages my guestimate would be that 90% of the people who might be able to help you will have stopped looking in. Also, new people who might have similar questions won't look into a thread that large on the off chance that it was answered there.

It is far better to start a new thread for each major question you have. It will also help to give each thread a title that reflects the question being asked.
MIB #1457
Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
The reason it was closed is that it really isn't a good idea to try to put any question you have in a single thread. After the first 2-3 pages my guestimate would be that 90% of the people who might be able to help you will have stopped looking in. Also, new people who might have similar questions won't look into a thread that large on the off chance that it was answered there.

It is far better to start a new thread for each major question you have. It will also help to give each thread a title that reflects the question being asked.
2-3 pages of the board or a thread?

Edit: By the way, there's a difference between "not a good idea" and "lockable offense".
Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
2-3 pages of the board or a thread?
Of a thread. Especially if those first 2-3 pages don't seem to be about the question they need answered at that point.

It is far better to have multiple threads that stay on one topic (yeah I know that is a bit hard) each rather than a single thread that covers dozens of topics.

Quote:
Edit: By the way, there's a difference between "not a good idea" and "lockable offense".
I locked it because it had become fairly obvious it had outlived its usefulness. Most of the last several pages were bumps from you and people telling you it would be better to start a new thread. That isn't an offense, just preventing it from getting to far afield. You were welcome to start a new thread, but it will help keep to keep it on a small number of related topics per thread.
MIB #1457
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
sjard
Stick in the Mud

I'm not trying to chase you away. Far from it. I just think you would get more of what you are looking for if you didn't try to dump every question you have in a single thread.
MIB #1457
Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Oh, and descriptive subject lines please. This one is just about useless. Might as well just put 'Thread' in the subject line.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
capnq

Quote:
By the way, there's a difference between "not a good idea" and "lockable offense".
BTW, arguing with a moderator is a "lockable offense".

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq View Post
BTW, arguing with a moderator is a "lockable offense".
to be fair though, the mods haven't shut this topic down
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
Gudiomen

I guess what we're saying, Ragitsu, is that a forum thread isn't supposed to be your personal questioning space. Post each question as a thread, with a title that's related to the question. That way other people interested will be more likely to look at it and give you good responses, other people with the same question will know where to look, and when somebody in the future remembers "a discussion about..." it'll be easier to search if the title is related to the topic.

Also, in a multi-question thread things can get confusing, people will try to ressurect stuff back from other questions in the thread, there will be several paralel discussions, it becomes a mess to follow and unatractive to read.

And just because it's locked, doesn't mean the moderators are peeved or anything, just means that things got confusing, off-thread, or don't abide by the forums standards.

I read your other thread, and you have good questions. By all means ask about them, but each in it's own thread, it's easier for everyone.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
Ragitsu
Banned

*cricket chirps*

Yikes. I hope they're back soon :-(.
Closed Thread

Tags
answers, q&a, questions, random