Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Generic Question Thread

As to broaden the parameters of the original thread I created, and not clutter the board with multiple topics in a short span of time, I created this thread.

So, here go my first few questions:

Quote:
Given the likelyhood of the PCs having to swim through a tunnel, a waterproof backpack that can withstand water pressure up to about fifty to sixty feet sounds best. Could something like this exist? If not, what alternative do they have?
Quote:
How much plastic explosive does it take to wreck the average industrial deadbolt lock? And, will this be sufficient enough to damage it to the point where one could simply open/kick open the door it is on? I'm trying to design "lock buster" charges for my PCs to have as part of their mission gear.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Generic Question Thread

Multiple topics aren't that bad, you know...

A waterproof backpack clearly can exist. We can make a sealed pressure capsule you could sink to the sea-floor and put straps on it, if nothing else. It looks like commercially available designs can offer at least 300 feet, from a couple minutes searching.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Ragitsu
Banned

How much time do you think it would take to "seal" the backpack per use? I am unsure if it would be as quick as pulling up a zipper.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
sjard
Stick in the Mud

One type I've seen used locally (yeah an oddity in a desert) is basicly a thick plastic bag with a rubberized hard plastic screwtop. You put whatever you are taking in the bag, squish out as much air as possible, screw the top on and go. Takes only a few seconds to seal up.

I have seen another type similar that had a hand pump to pull the air out after it is sealed. Takes a bit longer.

Then there are those people who basicly put items that need to be kept dry in ziplock style bags and then dump them into a regular nylon backpack. This is usually enough for a couple dozen feet in depth.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

On the plastique: Use game stats!

An industrial lock has DR 12, HP 3 (High-Tech, p. 203). Failure can occur when HP reach 0, but is only likely to be catastrophic at -HP; see pp. B483-484. So your target damage is 12 (to overcome DR) + 3 (to reach 0 HP) + 3 (to reach -HP) = 18 points.

Turn to p. B415. As a contact explosion always does maximum damage, this calls for 18/6 = 3d of damage, or 6d×0.5. Plastic explosive like C4 or Semtex has REF 1.4, so you'll need (0.5×0.5)/(4×1.4) = 0.045 lb. Call it 0.05 lb. to have margin of error. At $30/lb. (High-Tech, p. 186), that's $1.50.

Blasting caps are $10, 0.25 lb. for six (High-Tech, p. 187), so to stick one on here would add $1.67 and 0.042 lb. This brings us to $3.17 and 0.092 lb. Add packaging and call each charge $3.50 and 0.1 lb.

To set them off would require a cell phone-sized blasting machine: $50, 0.75 lb. (High-Tech, p. 187).
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
Ragitsu
Banned

Kromm, you have my thanks for a very concise answer with supplement references to boot! Now I know just what to rig up for the player characters...

---

Next question. Barring MREs, what is the best (lowest weight, highest nutritional value and easy to prepare) TL8 or below means of carrying food for long hikes? This concerns a group of "soldiers".

Last edited by Ragitsu; 05-24-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Kaldrin

Dried food and water. Jerky, dried fruit and nuts (aka trail mix), and hardtack all have the storage life and aren't perishable. The trail mix also has high caloric content. Then you add water in bladders in backpacks and/or in canteens.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Xplo

Why bar MREs? AFAIK, they're not difficult to acquire; I think you can find them at military surplus stores.

Alternately, you can get the civilian versions (for hikers, campers, etc) at "outdoor sports" stores.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin View Post
Dried food and water. Jerky, dried fruit and nuts (aka trail mix), and hardtack all have the storage life and aren't perishable. The trail mix also has high caloric content. Then you add water in bladders in backpacks and/or in canteens.
About how much would you say, in pounds, is the amount to feed a combat active person for three days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
Why bar MREs?
They are impossible to get, that's why.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
sgtcallistan

On cheap rations: given water and a fire source, dried pasta seems an excellent source. Dried mixed vegetables also. Mountaineers use such stuff, but soldiers are famously picky about good rations, and would probably prefer meat as well.
Boredom is a vital consideration during any long period on rations.
Lightness is vital, so large crates of wine bottles and soup cans require porters and a safari, or a major base camp as in the arctic regions.

Hope this is useful.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
answers, explosives, firearms, q&a, questions, random