Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 01-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
dwalend

Default Finishing games?

My second (yes, that's pretty feeble) Friday two-player game wrapped up this morning. It's the second game that's gone unfinished, won by forfeit.

How many of you are seeing games go to the end, or at least to a definite conclusion?

In the first game - the Train - my opponent played well, but relied too much on luck - which wasn't coming through. I was on offense, overwhelming his forces and he'd basically run out of options (I think), so it wasn't too surprising that he didn't follow the game to the end. However, I was still 2-4 turns from hitting the train. Forfeit by timeout.

The second game raises my concerns. We were playing MkIII attacks, me on defense. He was jenking the MkIII effectively, spreading out my defense in the craters, we'd just started the initial clash, my tanks were out of position. I didn't have enough dice to roll, and didn't get lucky with the shots I could make. I was enjoying a good game with a skilled opponent, and started to expect a loss if not a nail-biter. Then -- forfeit by timeout.

I did notice some strange bugs in the second game - a piece I'd moved that wasn't in the right place in one instance. A healthy tank disabled at the beginning of my opponent's turn when I loaded the game to check if it was my turn in another. Are the bugs putting people off?

Or should we ask for more than two days before a forfeit?

Or something else?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Finishing games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
How many of you are seeing games go to the end, or at least to a definite conclusion?
Most of mine have, and it's likely I've played a higher number of games than most

Quote:
Are the bugs putting people off?
Definitely

Quote:
Or should we ask for more than two days before a forfeit?
No. The games would drag on forever.

Quote:
Or something else?
The core issue still remains that there are significant bugs, especially in multiplayer games. The leave and re-enter mechanic is fragile. I've had the most success with completing games by riding one through to the end with no exits. Almost every time I have exited a game, something "bad" has happened; skipped turns, ghost units, etc. Usually if I wait it out, it will still finish, but it's been ugly.

Things have been "better" if you completely exit Steam, not just exit the game and re-enter cleanly, but that's obviously not the intent.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I probably forfeited games this weekend, but I haven't checked yet, I was backpacking Sunday through today and none of the people I playing against finished the games Saturday night. :(
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
selenite

I've gotten weird bugs where the client keeps changing its mind about whose turn it is. I think a player may have missed his turn, or hit the end phase button by accident once.

I forfeited a game once because I was waiting for it to be my turn, and it kept saying it was the other guy's turn until I closed the game and reopened it.

Had one game forfeited in mid-point, no idea why. Shame. It was an interesting tactical position and I was coming up with contingency plans for each of his options.

Most of my online games are played in near real time.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 PM   #5
TokyoDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
I've gotten weird bugs where the client keeps changing its mind about whose turn it is. I think a player may have missed his turn, or hit the end phase button by accident once.

I forfeited a game once because I was waiting for it to be my turn, and it kept saying it was the other guy's turn until I closed the game and reopened it.

Had one game forfeited in mid-point, no idea why. Shame. It was an interesting tactical position and I was coming up with contingency plans for each of his options.

I was playing my first online game and it seemed way screwed up as far as who's turn it was. After my turns I kept logging off and closing down Steam to come in later and check if my turn was up. And it always seemed out of sequence. Then I never saw any more notices that it was my turn. I guess my opponent pulled out.
TokyoDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:40 AM   #6
AurochJake

We'll be taking a good look at the issues reported here and in your various reports sent to me very soon, and hopefully resolving the outstanding bugs to do with multiplayer (and Scenario Creator too!)

Thanks as always for the reports folks, it's hugely appreciated.
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
I was playing my first online game and it seemed way screwed up as far as who's turn it was. After my turns I kept logging off and closing down Steam to come in later and check if my turn was up. And it always seemed out of sequence. Then I never saw any more notices that it was my turn. I guess my opponent pulled out.
It skipped several of your turns. I reported it. I couldn't find you on Steam so I sent a PM here (maybe check your PMs?). Then I (as mentioned upthread) went backpacking on Sunday with (as of early Sunday morning) the game showing your turn.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
I'd like to do that, but I can most easily play some turns at lunch, and on my commute. On my commute connectivity drops in and out. Weekends are especially spotty, but I've been able to get my turns in.

Jake, maybe a good mitigation is to let us commit to some level of responsiveness in a game. Those that can sit and play through could announce that. I could commit to a three-day timeout.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
selenite

I'd play that.

It would move briskly compared to some of the online Advanced Civilization games I'm in.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Toltrin

I would like an option for replays. Is that possible?
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote