Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2006, 05:26 AM   #31
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Things I would like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Bryan's articles proved largely redundant with our own material on fencing, which drew heavily on Sydney Anglo's work -- a lot of which made different assumptions.
We also drew heavily on the source material itself - Capo Ferro, Thibault, Agrrippa, and so on. In every case I could, I went to the primary sources instead of relying on secondary sources. So rather than Bryan's articles on fencing, I went to fencing manuals themselves, and on scholarly treatments of the subject of fencing.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:26 AM   #32
Dahak

Quote:
Whatever 4e book replaces Covert Ops (and yes, I have an idea what book that will be, but I'm not tipping my hand).
Hmmm... sounds like GURPS Technothriller to me. After all, Dark GURPSions would just sound silly. ;)
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #33
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
I assume stuff like "Zero G Kung Fu"/"Vacc Suit-Karate" will be discussed the same way as in MA3E? That is to say, a paragraph or two on specific scifi or fantasy styles?
Or will there be more information? /curious/
To those looking for Fantasy, SF, and futuristic martial arts styles, it's my understanding that most of that material didn't make the cut. There should be the mechanics to create your own, but as styles, not so much.

Here's the thread where that's discussed:

GURPS MA 4e SF and Fantasy Styles

Real historical styles took precedence. For the fantasy and SF stuff, you'll have to roll your own. I do hope the Force Swordsmanship is still present and the blaster bolt parries which on poster asked about is dealt with. Although, I thought this could be done using stuff in GURPS Basic 4e books, but I haven't found the rules reference on a quick look through the index.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #34
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
To those looking for Fantasy, SF, and futuristic martial arts styles, it's my understanding that most of that material didn't make the cut. There should be the mechanics to create your own, but as styles, not so much.
Yeah. That's about it. There are less non-historical styles, but we did ensure a good spread of styles to cover lots of different genres. Essentially, we picked enough to cover a range and cut duplication of coverage. We had a lot of historical styles to include, lots of general combat rules, more weapons to discuss, more character generation information and so on than 3e. Even with a higher page count something had to give.

I think we included sufficient information to let people generate more styles as they need them. As I said in that thread griffin linked to, I am more inclined to give tools than figured examples.

Force-Swordsmanship did make the first-draft cut, though, and so did Precognitive Parry.They're changed a bit for 4e but they are in there.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:15 AM   #35
Luther
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
Yeah. That's about it. There are less non-historical styles, but we did ensure a good spread of styles to cover lots of different genres. Essentially, we picked enough to cover a range and cut duplication of coverage. We had a lot of historical styles to include, lots of general combat rules, more weapons to discuss, more character generation information and so on than 3e. Even with a higher page count something had to give.
And I'm glad you did so. It's easy enough to tweak the appropriate historical style and turn it into some fancy fantasy martial arts, or use the suggested cinematic skills and advantages to do that.

God of the Cult of Stat Normalization
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:39 AM   #36
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
I think we included sufficient information to let people generate more styles as they need them. As I said in that thread griffin linked to, I am more inclined to give tools than figured examples.
And that's what I'm looking forward to. Toolbox!
Old 02-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #37
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
And that's what I'm looking forward to. Toolbox!
Treat as a cheap-quality maul at -4 to Two-Handed Axe/Mace skill. Roll 1d on any attack or parry. On a 1, it comes open and spills its tools. On a critical miss, it comes open and the user gets a screwdriver in the eye.

Okay, maybe we don't have that . . .
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #38
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
What, no Jackie Chan-style use of improvised weapons? <grumble> Well, I suppose that'd take a 124 pg. book all on it's own. Full of listings for things like "Firehose" and "Three-piece extension ladder" and "rope with horseshoe tied on"

Hmmm... _GURPS MA: Killin' People with Everyday Objects_ There could be a manuscript in that...

+++|<=== Lord Carnifex ---
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #39
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Treat as a cheap-quality maul at -4 to Two-Handed Axe/Mace skill. Roll 1d on any attack or parry. On a 1, it comes open and spills its tools. On a critical miss, it comes open and the user gets a screwdriver in the eye.

Kromm, I have to say, you're not entirely serious these days. I suspect you don't have enough work to do... /ducks/
Old 02-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #40
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex
What, no Jackie Chan-style use of improvised weapons? <grumble> Well, I suppose that'd take a 124 pg. book all on it's own. Full of listings for things like "Firehose" and "Three-piece extension ladder" and "rope with horseshoe tied on"

Hmmm... _GURPS MA: Killin' People with Everyday Objects_ There could be a manuscript in that...

+++|<=== Lord Carnifex ---
Actually, we do have a long box on improvised weapons, another list of things for Throwing Art, and even a way of incorporating IW training into a martial art (as featured in krav maga). Just not specific stats for toolboxes as weapons. Oh, and we also have rules for using fridge doors and furniture Chan-style, but those are cinematic.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote